Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Second oud but still not satisfied [beginner problems]
Fameeyy
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 04:44 AM
Second oud but still not satisfied [beginner problems]

Hey guys!

Im originally from egypt and i travel there every couple of years and while i was there i bought two ouds ( 2 years apart from each other) but what i notice when i try to learn a taqsim or song is that my oud even when tuned perfectly (i tune it high arab) sounds more like a guitar that an oud (compared to the videos)
Even when i pic the string empty so it doesnt have to do with me being a beginner i guess... im bought a samir hamido oud with pyramid strings... i dont now what the problem could be 🤔🤔
Also how would you advice someone to start learning oud by himself?? There are unfortunately no oud teachers in my city :(

Thanks in advance!!
Fameeyy
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 06:06 AM

also when i tune it high arab it sounds waaay higher than in the tutorials but when i tune it C F D A D G the strings are lose and it sounds weird...
I kinda want to get the farid al atrash sound out of it
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 09:33 AM

Fameeyy, please post a short video or audio recording where you play the strings one at a time so we can hear your tuning.

Note that you can't just tune the oud however you want regardless of the strings on it. You have to have the strings that match your tuning.

For Farid tuning you should use classic Arab, one of the following (lowest note to highest note):

C F A d g c'
C G A d g c'
D G A d g c'

The highest C is the same as middle C on the piano. The lowest C is the open C on a cello.
This is the tuning that the common Pyramid sets (#650/11 Orange set) are made for.

The high tuning would usually be:
F A d g c' f'
or
G A d g c' f'

Also, Farid sometimes is tuned down lower so like the C F A d g c' tuning but everything is lower on the recording.

Also please measure the distance of the vibrating part of the string (from the nut to the bridge) and from the nut to the fingerboard/body joint if it is a floating bridge.

You don't say where you live, but you might be surprised at where there are oud teachers or at least another player who can help you out. Alternatively, some people teach via Skype—I do this, as does forum member Mavrothis and I think Navid also, and there are many other teachers who do as well.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top