Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My new Nazih Ghadban Oud
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-16-2018 at 02:01 PM
My new Nazih Ghadban Oud

I am currently in Jbeil Byblos Lebanon. I just returned from the privileged visit to Nazih Ghadban’s shop in Ras- Baalbeck Lebanon. Amazing experience! He was an amazing host. I enjoyed a cup of Arabic coffee with him as we discussed his history of building these beautiful instruments and I got a tour of his shop and got to try his Ouds I was interested in. I chose the 1365 Nahat Model. It is an amazing piece of art with an incredible sound! I also purchased one of his new carbon fiber hard cases to protect my new Oud. I will be traveling back to the states with it and am hoping I will be allowed to carry the instrument with me on the plane. Has anybody had success with that request with the airline? I’m flying on Qatar Airways to LA, then Alaska Airlines from LA to Portland Oregon. Any advice on how to achieve this request would be greatly appreciated. I definitely do not want to check it with regular luggage. I will include photos.
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-16-2018 at 02:21 PM
Nazih Ghadban Photo

I’m getting a, sorry the file you uploaded exceeds our size limit? For my photos. Anyone know how to get it to work?
aminateur
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-16-2018 at 03:00 PM

I traveled recently transatlantic not only with one but with two ouds. As long as the case fits into the overhead cabin you shouldn't have to worry. People understand that a musical instrument is precious. Enjoy your oud and your trip
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 8-16-2018 at 09:07 PM

Hi Edward:wavey:,

the oud-hardcase usually does not fit in the overhead-locker. Can u get a softcase for traveling?
I always ask the airhostess if it is possible to store my "wonderful lady" in their wardrobe,and mostly everytime they accept with a smile.

Good luck and congretulations!! Hope we get something so see and hear soon.

Cheers,
Markus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
alaaraj
Oud Junkie

Mood: Tuning!

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 06:05 AM

Congratulations Edward

This Facebook video is for your new Oud (1365 Nahat model):

https://www.facebook.com/1245264852/posts/10216484215038308/

And these are the photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10216472712430750&type...

Truely beautiful ❤️ Enjoy ;)

Onwards and upwards

HazRaj
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 01:50 PM

Thank you, I love it. It really sounds and plays amazing! Nazih Ghadban an amazing luthier. All his Ouds are fabulous. I was able to try a couple other Ouds I was interested in but chose this Nahat model. Visiting him and his shop was an incredible experience. From where I am currently, Jbeil Byblos, Lebanon it was a 3.5 hour car ride away, but I’m so glad I made the trip. I recommend to anyone who is able to make the trip to do it! It was kind of a pilgrimage for me. I visited a couple music stores here in Lebanon that sell Ouds but you can’t even compare them to his Ouds. I’m really excited to get back home to Portland, Oregon to show it to my Oud teacher. :applause:
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 05:29 PM

Did you play the oud he calls "Salma" (1370)? That looks really good in the photos and sounds good on the video.
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 12:05 PM

Jody,
I did not. Only because I was more interested in an Oud with a Cedar soundboard. I already have a couple Ouds with Spruce soundboards including my custom Faruk Turunz Oud. So I tried his 1367-Nour and his 1365-Nahat. Both play and sound amazing! A hard choice. I chose the 1365-Nahat because it had a slightly bigger bowl and I thought a deeper Arabic type of sound. My Faruk Turunz is one of his Arabic style Ouds but still has a sharper Turkish sound. Now I have both.:) I did notice your picture on Nazih Ghadban’s website . Did you also visit Nazih Ghadban at his shop? I now have Ouds from Palestine, Syria, Turkey and Lebanon. I don’t think my wife would be happy if I buy any more. But I think I’m satisfied. For now anyway :) Learning how to play, playing, practicing and obtaining these beautiful instruments which are also pieces of art is kind of addicting.

Edward
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 01:07 PM

Hi Edward,
I have never been to Lebanon so I did not visit Nazih Ghadban. We had a number of a good email exchanges. He promptly answered all my questions. About seven years ago a friend called my attention to NG's website for the purpose of looking at his remarkable buzuq-s., which he was making from unexpected woods, including one from cinchona (!) if I remember right. And there I discovered beautiful ouds with beautiful sound. My favorites were two Nahat models. I decided to buy the one you saw in the photo. I love this instrument.

Quote: Originally posted by Edward6311  
Jody,
I did not. Only because I was more interested in an Oud with a Cedar soundboard. I already have a couple Ouds with Spruce soundboards including my custom Faruk Turunz Oud. So I tried his 1367-Nour and his 1365-Nahat. Both play and sound amazing! A hard choice. I chose the 1365-Nahat because it had a slightly bigger bowl and I thought a deeper Arabic type of sound. My Faruk Turunz is one of his Arabic style Ouds but still has a sharper Turkish sound. Now I have both.:) I did notice your picture on Nazih Ghadban’s website . Did you also visit Nazih Ghadban at his shop? I now have Ouds from Palestine, Syria, Turkey and Lebanon. I don’t think my wife would be happy if I buy any more. But I think I’m satisfied. For now anyway :) Learning how to play, playing, practicing and obtaining these beautiful instruments which are also pieces of art is kind of addicting.

Edward

Go To Top