Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud lessons in california
Khalid
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 10:53 PM
Oud lessons in california

Hello everyone, :wavey:
This is my first post as I'm new to this chatrom.

It has been my dream for a very long time to learn the oud, which is in my opinion one of the most beautiful instruments. I have some very limited experience with classical guitar.

Anyways, I'm looking for an oud teacher in Southern California, particularly the inland empire region which is about 60 miles inland from san diego. An oud teacher elsewhere in southern CA would be fine as well. Does anyoen have any suggestions?
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 12:13 AM

Nasser Musa used to live down around there and teach... he's a gulf style player who's very good. I'd look him up - sorry, I don't have contact info for him.

John Bilezjikian lives in Laguna Beach - he may still teach. His main deal is Armenian chordal style oud playing, but he's a very patient teacher. Some current professional oudists in California studied with him extensively a long time ago...

Kan Zaman ensemble is located in Arcadia. Wael Kakish is the artistic director this group - he's an excellent performer of muwashah and other Egyptian repertoire. I don't know how much teaching he does, however.

But between the three of these contacts, you should be able to find the best teachers of Armenian, Egyptian, and gulf style playing.
Khalid
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 08:01 AM

Thank you very much for your help. I will deifinetly look into Nasser Musa because I want to learn to play gulf style. I found his phone number and he seems to be in my area, do you know if he gives any lessons?

Go To Top