Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hard Case For Oud
jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-26-2018 at 07:03 AM
Hard Case For Oud

Is this case strong enough to be used as checked luggage on airlines?
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-26-2018 at 11:45 PM

I travel a good bit and have gone through lots of suitcases. Even the best hard shell suitcases I've bought have been cracked in short order. I bought a new Samsonite hard shell recently that they claimed would never crack, and it was cracked in 4 places on one international trip. I would absolutely never check an oud or any other instrument on any airline, unless you have one of those metal cases that probably cost $1000 or so. No $99 case is going to be safe to check.
CumbusOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-22-2018 at 12:43 PM

This case is very strong.

In near future, we will share a Video to show how it is strong.

And it is very light to carry.
Microber
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 05:38 AM

You say the price is 99$ but on the website it's 119$.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 02:10 AM

Hi guys!

I just put a purchase on this case. I will let you know when I get it..

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
CumbusOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-29-2019 at 03:56 AM

Price updated. It is $99 now
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 02:57 AM

Hi Guys!

Glad to tell you that the oud case has just arrived.

Well packed and in good condition.

It looks exactly like in the pictures!

My first impression is that it is a mid thing between a hard case and a soft case:

(Ps. I have many hard cases, and many good soft cases, so I can compair)

1-Almost as light as a soft case (with the oud in it, it feels as heavy as my other hard case alone!)

2-And almost as hard as a hard case (i don't know what it is made of. But it feels like the same material that is used to pack washing machines, if you know what I mean).
I am not going to test it. I leave that to Cumbusoud to do it :) He has promised to post a video about that.

I'm happy so far (only first impression. Have not take it out yet. And looking forward to try it out).

3- The outer material is water proof!

And Veysel from Sala music was great. He answered my email same day! Very nice and helpful.

Thank you Veysel.

Regards

CumbusOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-17-2019 at 06:22 AM

Hi Luttgutt,

Thank you for the detailed review :)

I am happy that you liked it.
Actually, I knew you will like it. We sold many of these cases and all of the customers liked it.

We will add the Video for the case in a short time.

Best regards,

Veysel
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 2-17-2019 at 01:51 PM

I just bought one today!
Looking forward to a new case for one of my OUD's.
Cheers.
Matt

ps: The case(inside) is made from styrofoam, which is super light and can take a pretty good thump(not that we want to try).
The only thing I do not like about styrofoam(otherwise know as polystyrene) is that it is extremely flammable, but I cannot imagine any case truly saving an OUD if there was a bad fire unfortunately....
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-25-2019 at 01:06 PM

I tried one of these cases recently. It's a nice case, but it did not fit my 60cm Arabic oud.
Just thought anyone who was interested should know that the case is small and may not fit Arabic ouds. 60cm isn't even large for an Arabic oud—I know plenty of people with ouds 61-63cm so it seems a lot of ouds won't fit.
It's disappointing since it is a nice case overall. Perhaps in the future they will offer a larger size.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
CumbusOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 09:52 AM

Dear Brian,

We already tried the case with 60cm and 61,5cm oud cases and it fits very well.

Tomorrow I will share some pictures to show that 60 and 61,5 cm ouds fit in the case

Thank you
MattOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 10:06 AM

Update:

So the Oud case arrived yesterday(March 5th) and I ordered Feb 17th as posted above...so from Turkey to Canada(right from the hands of Veysel Sala to myself) , this took just over 2 weeks. That is amazing! I wasn't home so just picked up today, but it was officially here yesterday.

As far as the case size is concerned, my Sukar OUD is 61 and fits. I think the trick is to put the neck end in first before the bowl end so you get down in better and it seems to fit pretty good with about an inch more play. The only thing i did in order to close properly is I removed the small rectangular piece(approx 2" X4") on the inside of the top of the case that holds against the neck when closed. I found this put too much pressure on my OUD neck if i tried to close, but with it removed it fit perfect.
{Message to Sala....That piece should be made using velcro so the user can remove or add as needed and also with a softer inside so it has less pressure.}

Overall, I am really happy with the case for what I will need it for.
Personally, I am not sure I would be confident to use for travel with a particularly expensive OUD as I am still afraid if heavy pressure it may not hold.... I have taken pics if anyone wants to see them.

@Brian: Brian, is it possible the OUD you tried has a larger bowl than my sukar? I think if the bowl shape was bigger than a sukar it may not fit as you say but i cannot test currently

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 12:20 PM

Bowl 35.5cm across, 51cm long, 20cm deep. 60cm scale.

My Sukar is 37cm across, 53cm long, 20cm deep. Also 60cm scale.

So it's smaller than my Sukar bowl.
All I can tell you is that it clearly did not fit safely in the case.

The pegbox is approx 15cm horizontally, while my Sukar pegbox is 13cm, so it's possible that the extra 2cm of pegbox length made it not fit.

Any case that requires you to put the pegbox in first to make it fit is poorly designed, in my opinion. You are introducing an element that adds additional risk to the headstock if the case itself can create torque on the headstock/neck. One of the reasons I don't like the plastic hard cases that Sukar uses either.

Arabic ouds vary quite a bit in dimensions aside from scale, so yes I'm sure some Arabic ouds will fit.
I just thought some would find it helpful to know that their oud may not fit this case.

It wasn't my case so I wasn't doing any modifications to the case, it's possible that the case could work with some modification.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

MattOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 02:38 PM

Sorry to hear you had problems Brian. I just wanted to mention that I am not suggesting you have to put this in the case pegbox first...It fits perfectly well lowering it in horizontal as most people would anyways. I just mention it because you mentioned you had trouble and thought it might help.
This case is not poorly designed, i am sorry if i left that impression. It is not fair to the seller to suggest that. For $99, the case is more than a fair price imo. A person could spend more and get better of course if they want, but I agree with Luttgutts post and review as I had a similar experience.

Looking at the description in the OP post: "*Suspension cushions keep the Oud centered and suspended, prevent damage to the Oud"... I now can see the piece I was trying to describe that can be easily removed(not a modification at all) is called the suspension cushion. In my case, it doesn't seem to be needed.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 09:48 PM

I'm not saying that it's poorly designed for the ouds that it fits, sorry if I gave that impression. I agree it's a good value for the ouds that fit, and the design is fine in that case. My comment was that with regard to my oud, if I am expected to tilt the pegbox into the case, then that would be poor design. I understand that with other ouds, that's not necessary so I didn't mean to imply that the design was poor more generally.

The main reason I wanted to share my experience is that I had specifically been wondering if my oud would fit but there was no way to know short of ordering a case. When a friend got one of the case, I thought "great, I can try it and make sure it fits before I order one."

I was actually surprised it didn't fit, since it even mentioned in the post that it fits Arabic ouds so I was assuming it would probably fit and I was just being overly cautious. When it didn't fit, I decided to share my experience for anyone else who was similarly cautious about ordering a case from Turkey that may not fit.

I actually like the case and had hoped it would fit, I may still purchase one for my smaller ouds.
This is not about being critical of or unfair to the seller, but simply that I believe that everyone benefits from more information. It's a good product overall, but it didn't fit my Arabic oud and that is probably relevant information to someone. Given the variation in oud sizes, it's expected that there's no one-size-fits-all case solution.

as I said in my original comment:
Quote:
It's disappointing since it is a nice case overall. Perhaps in the future they will offer a larger size.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

CumbusOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-20-2019 at 12:39 PM

Dear Brian,

You're right; the case is not fit for some the biggest ouds.

We also have 61,5 cm ouds, and it fits for our ouds. But some makers ouds have a bigger bowl so that the case is not fit for them.
But I can say that the case fits %90 ouds.

We are working on it, within 3-4 months the case will be ok for all kinds ouds.

Thanks.

Veysel

ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-20-2019 at 02:20 PM

I got one of these cases a few months back and have been very happy with it overall. It fits both my Ali Nısadır Turkish oud and my Zeryab Shami I Syrian oud (58.5 scale but bigger bowl) very well, which is a relief because the Zeryab didn't fit in my other Turkish oud case.

As others have mentioned, it's light compared to other hard cases with straps that make it easy to carry. It is a little bit bulky--I'd be a bit nervous about trying to take it as carry-on luggage, but that can be hit-and-miss even with smaller cases, and I've no plans to travel with it at the moment anyway.

My one complaint is that when I received the case, the glue that was used on the inside gave off a strong smell, but it was fine after a few hours sitting outside in the sun. Given the design of the inside, it would also be nice to have a little inner storage compartment for strings, mizraps, tools, etc., but overall it's very nice indeed. For anyone looking for a case for a Turkish oud or a small-ish Arabic oud, I'd say it's good value for the price.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-28-2019 at 04:55 AM

Actually, I wish it would be a little smaller (not bigger)

CumbusOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-8-2019 at 05:12 AM

Hello Again,

For larger Ouds, I can recommend a padded gigbag.

Please check it at this page: https://salamuzik.com/products/gigbag-case-for-arabic-oud-pgo-201

Thank you,

Veysel
CumbusOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 10:40 PM

Updated
CumbusOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 06:11 AM

We have a %10 discount for mikeouds members.

Discount code: G256EZEY0BSV

Thank you

Veysel
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 08:12 PM

The only safe case for air transpert is the Anvil transport case or something similar. It's a reinforced rectangular case, one large enough for an oud can be found for around $300. The interior is solid foam rubber, to cut to fit.Nothing else can withstand baggage handlers.

hakimoud
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 11:44 AM

Hi CumbusOud,
Is the price for the hardcase include taxes for France ?
I have a Lebanese Oud made my Mister Ghadban, the oud will probably fit the hardcase but if it's not the case, is the return free ?
Where can I Find the video ?
Thank you :wavey:

Go To Top