Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ottoman music : ressource book needed
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-3-2018 at 01:03 AM
ottoman music : ressource book needed

Hello

Even if i focus mainly on arabic music, i found very intresting to read as general culture reference books on music system. I found great one on persian music (thanks to this forum the one from Hormoz Farhat !), balkanic music.

Which one(s) would you recommend on ottoman music system , theory, analysis, pieces... ?

Looking forward to read your recommendations

Best

dario
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-3-2018 at 03:33 AM

Very highly recommend Karl Signell's Makam - Modal Practice in Turkish Art Music. Although it doesn't have a specific analysis of each makam, or any repertoire, it does a great job explaining the concept of makam and how Ottoman music is played, with illustrative examples. Plus it's short and very easy (and entertaining) to read.
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2018 at 05:52 AM

For historical detail, Feldman's "Music of the Ottoman Court" (VERY hard to find, it really needs to be reprinted).

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2018 at 06:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack_Campin  
For historical detail, Feldman's "Music of the Ottoman Court" (VERY hard to find, it really needs to be reprinted).

I found this one and its table of content online, indeed it seems really great. A miss it is not edited anymore, let's hope it would.
Around historicals, t here is a book in turkish about Cemil Bey life written by his sn Mesud. Unfortunately doesnt seems to have been translate from turkish

Khalil_Oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-3-2018 at 08:38 AM

Hi,
Thaks Jack-Campin for the reference, very interesting ! just to tell that for those who have a universities library access, you can find it by doing research on WorldCat library. For example, University of Toronto, New york university, Columbia have copies... and others.

Khalil

al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2018 at 06:19 PM

Feldman's book is definitely worth reading. Beyond its interesting details about musicians, instruments, musical forms, etc. it traces major shifts that took place in the styles, tempos, modes, instrumentation, suite structures and other aspects of Ottoman music in the course of the sixteenth-eighteenth centuries. This provides a needed reminder that Middle Eastern music was not fixed and timeless but experienced constant creativity and innovation. The oud, for instance, disappeared from use by Ottoman classical musicians and ensembles in Istanbul by the eighteenth century; it was reintroduced only in the late nineteenth century.

Several good reference works in English on Ottoman/Turkish makams:

Murat Aydemir, Turkish Music Makam Guide
Eric Ederer, Makam and Beyond
Eugenia Popescu-Judetz, A Summary Catalogue of the Turkish Makams
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-3-2018 at 08:01 PM

I'd strongly second the recommendation for Dr. Eric Ederer's book "Makam and Beyond." Not only does it give a DEEPLY in-depth commentary of nearly all commonly played Turkish makams (often including how they have parted ways with their Arabic counterparts), it also gives "Arab-level" transcriptions for all the makams presented so that anyone even remotely familiar with Arabic maqams can easily follow along. It's an excellent reference to have on hand.

Here's a link to where you can order it:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/eric-ederer/makam-and-beyond-a-progressive...
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 10:46 AM

thank you all for those promising advices, i will go for some of these books
best regards

Go To Top