Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: On iranian oud
stavros
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 01:58 AM
On iranian oud

Very useful information on iranian oud from the excellent oud player (and very open minded) Negar Bouban.

https://oudmigrations.com/2018/11/05/the-oud-in-iran/
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 05:32 AM

-really great article. I like Negar's playing alot!
The label on one of her arafati OUD's is interesting....Where it says serial #, beside is written what looks like a mathematical equation of some sort? Kind of wood=nut? and Date= 1385,2,27 ? Very strange to me what that all means...

Also, it is really interesting to me what Negar says about the mohammadi bros Oud here:
"Among the most established ones are the Mohammadi brothers in Isfahan. They have very good craftsmanship but my personal opinion is that they don’t have much of a sound."

I am a big fan of the mohamaddi bros sound. you can hear the beauty of the sound as sampled by Nizar Rohana on youtube...or Yasmin Shahhosseini who plays this instrument.
When i spoke in email to Nizar just a couple months ago, he told me he LOVES the oud of the mohammadi bros instrument.
This is important to me personally, because i have my mind(and heart) set on this oud currently to obtain one day... Everyone has a different opinion i guess, and Negar mentions her preference in OUD is one that is most comfortable in longterm playing, even if Bass may be compromised somewhat in the OUD build...
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 10:16 AM

The date is given using the Iranian calendar. The year 1385 corresponds to 2006.
The wood listed as 'nut' refers to walnut.
The numbers given as part of the serial number are curious, perhaps listing technical specifications of the instrument.
MattOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 12:22 PM

Thanx al-Halabi! That makes sense, 621AD start date, etc...
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 08:17 PM

I too have drooled over the Mohammadi instruments that I've seen online, but I have to admit that the sound and the look of Negar-jan's oud were love at first sight for me. What a remarkable instrument!

That's not to say that I agree with her not having heard both instruments up close. Horses for courses, but I found her candor (about both ouds and oud playing) refreshing.

I'm guessing Arafati ouds are currently not that easy to find outside of Iran... I did a quick search and found a few old posts of them for sale from Oriental Instruments a number of years ago, but nothing recent. If anyone ever has one for sale, please let me know!

As an aside, Negar Bouban wrote an e-book on techniques for Persian oud playing about a year ago, and I just downloaded it today. It's quite a good resource for the price (about $15 USD, I think--includes embedded sheet music and videos). The book deals mainly with ornamentation using excerpts and short pieces to illustrate their use. I'd say it would be a helpful tool for ambitious high beginner and intermediate-level oud students.

Here's a link to a promo video about the book. You can download it from iTunes using a link in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnpTcli5SA

MattOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-13-2018 at 06:06 AM

I totally agree. Her instrument sound is lovely. I was just suprised to hear her say that about the mohammadi, but am thankful for her candid review. She is very down to earth and believable. You can tell from the article(s)(she wrote 2 if you follow link at bottom of first article) that she really understands her stuff and the history which was very informative.
I didn't know about the ebook she made so thanx for the link channing... I(believe it or not) do not own a smartphone or ipad to download it to...but my kids do so maybe i can use their phone to check it out...
I am big into the persian style myself. I try something everyday to try to learn more. I was noddling around with Chahargah recently and am always trying new things. I like that she shows ornamentations. That would be a good ebook to have!

ps: Here is a side by side comparison of these two OUD's(Mohamaddi and Arafati, consequently :airguitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOED8piqZM
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 04:53 AM

I'm really happy about these articles. It's definitely a fresh, unheard perspective.

Part 2 is out now.

https://oudmigrations.com/2018/11/12/the-oud-in-iranian-repertoire-a...

I was surprised about her assessment of Mohammadi Ouds. Personally, Barbats and Mohammadi Bros Ouds are not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

Everything is subjective when it comes to these instruments. And keep in mind her language was very vague. What exactly does, "they don't have much of a sound" mean. She could mean anything by it. She could mean it's not very loud, she could mean it sounds too airy. She may mean that they lack character... who knows. But hearing this helps one become more curious and to inquire deeper.

After watching the video with her Oud against the Mohammadi one, the Mohammadi one sounds a bit airy and stringy. Her's sounds more punchy, and dense.

I would highly recommend picking up her book especially for those who want to learn a more Persian sound and technique.

yavaran
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-16-2018 at 11:56 AM

I love Mansour Nariman's playing, interesting to learn that it was considered perhaps "too arabic."

He is the main Iranian oud player (besides Negar) whose sound and approach to the instrument I truly love. I think Behrooznia's approach is interesting, but it doesn't have the emotional power or depth of Ostad Nariman.

Go To Top