Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sebastian Stenzel 6 course Oud Video
rojaros
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 09:20 AM
Sebastian Stenzel 6 course Oud Video

I have a new recording of the Sebastian Stenzel 6 course oud.

Please enjoy:

Stenzel 6 Course Oud New Video
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 01:32 PM

Is the player Mustafa Saïd ?
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 10:31 PM

:cool::D
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-19-2018 at 01:42 PM

Just was in the workshop of Sebastian Stenzel. He has two ouds that are ready; one is sold (a twin sister of the one on that above video, but totally fresh). The other is almost ready (still being shellacked) and an extremely interesting model, where he took up the ideas of Albert Mansour and developed a form that has a flatter and more comfortable bowl and nevertheless quite a big bowl volume leading to a quite deep body resonance frequency. Extremely comfortable to hold...

I might be able to publish a sound recording of that one, when it's ready...
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-20-2018 at 09:14 AM

BTW given that this is an oud forum I'm quite amazed that nobody has any comment to offer on the sound of this oud, either this way or the other ... personally I feel that it is an awesome instrument, especially in the hands of this master...
Matthias
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 02:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rojaros  

What an answer?!

I am wondering if the artist / master is aware of being presented ( used ) here anonymus

Matthias

Matthias Wagner
lutes - ouds - guitars & music-strings onlineshop
http://www.lutes-strings.de ( instruments )
http://www.music-strings.de ( strings )
http://www.facebook.com/Matth.Wagner
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ 9th Oriental music-summeracademy 1.8. - 4. 8. 2019
+ http://www.oriental-music-summeracademy.de
+ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4WC3bzeF38yuVfMGB8T1Vg/videos
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-16-2018 at 02:57 AM

What a gorgeous oud--and gorgeous playing to boot. I love the Iranian-style arrangement of the ribs.

I have a somewhat boring question--I'm curious to know more about how Sebastian installs Wittner pegs on his instruments as I'm interested in possibly getting some Wittner pegs myself at some point down the road. Does he use the standard viola pegs? I've read many of the old threads here on the forum about geared pegs and looked at a number of internet articles and videos about them, but I haven't been able to find many pictures of videos that show much detail--at least for ouds, anyway.

The pegs on my Nişadır Turkish oud work pretty well; I also recently picked up a used Zeryab oud, and the pegs & pegholes on that needed some refinishing and peg dope but work decently well now, but they appear pretty cheap--just a soft wood dyed black. My teacher has Knilling pegs on his oud, and I'm always green with envy watching him tune up.

My teacher has his oud strung in a somewhat different way than I've seen many players use. I previously assumed this was to better facilitate using the geared pegs since it appears that most geared pegs are fit so that the shanks are more or less flush with the inner wall of the pegbox. This makes a lot of sense for a violin, but not as much with an oud. However, from what I can see here in the video, Sebastian strung the oud "normally", e.g. with the 2nd course g strung relatively near the end of the peg. It also appears as if there's some sort of shaft or ring around the pegs themselves, but it's hard to tell from the video.

If it's not too much to ask, I'd love to see some close-up pictures of the pegbox (heck, throw in some close ups of the rest of the oud too--it's a beauty) and find out more about how Sebastian and other Wittner peg users have fitted these pegs on their ouds.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2018 at 10:27 AM

I love this kind of sound, sure it is an awsome instrument.
Moreover if Sebastian Stenzel succeed to keep this kind of volume within improving the confort of holding, can turn an amazing instrument.
Thanks for sharing

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2018 at 10:44 AM

really nice quality of recording by the way. May i ask you the gear you are using to record ?

MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 12-16-2018 at 01:59 PM

Sounds really really beautiful.
I also am curious of info on the wittner pegs as well.
My oud repair and luthier (Reza) says he can put these on my Oud(s) if I want but i haven't yet because
of lack of info as well.. Thanx for any info.

ps: Here is some pics of this oud and a couple of the pegbox as well:
http://www.stenzel-guitars.de/index_e.php?pageId=english/galerie/ou...
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2021 at 10:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Matthias  
Quote: Originally posted by rojaros  

What an answer?!

I am wondering if the artist / master is aware of being presented ( used ) here anonymus

Matthias

The master wished to remain anonymous in this video... I respect this against all understandable curiosity.
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-3-2021 at 10:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by suz_i_dil  
really nice quality of recording by the way. May i ask you the gear you are using to record ?

sorry I have overlooked your question about the recording equipment. It was a Tascam HS-P82 professional field recorder (is a bit bulky but has wonderful preamps) and a pair of J. Williams moded AKG 460B with CK61ULS cardioid capsules.

That is one of my standard setups for oud and classical guitar, depending on the room for the recording.
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-3-2021 at 10:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChanningPDX  
What a gorgeous oud--and gorgeous playing to boot. I love the Iranian-style arrangement of the ribs.

I have a somewhat boring question--I'm curious to know more about how Sebastian installs Wittner pegs on his instruments as I'm interested in possibly getting some Wittner pegs myself at some point down the road. Does he use the standard viola pegs? I've read many of the old threads here on the forum about geared pegs and looked at a number of internet articles and videos about them, but I haven't been able to find many pictures of videos that show much detail--at least for ouds, anyway.

The pegs on my Nişadır Turkish oud work pretty well; I also recently picked up a used Zeryab oud, and the pegs & pegholes on that needed some refinishing and peg dope but work decently well now, but they appear pretty cheap--just a soft wood dyed black. My teacher has Knilling pegs on his oud, and I'm always green with envy watching him tune up.

My teacher has his oud strung in a somewhat different way than I've seen many players use. I previously assumed this was to better facilitate using the geared pegs since it appears that most geared pegs are fit so that the shanks are more or less flush with the inner wall of the pegbox. This makes a lot of sense for a violin, but not as much with an oud. However, from what I can see here in the video, Sebastian strung the oud "normally", e.g. with the 2nd course g strung relatively near the end of the peg. It also appears as if there's some sort of shaft or ring around the pegs themselves, but it's hard to tell from the video.

If it's not too much to ask, I'd love to see some close-up pictures of the pegbox (heck, throw in some close ups of the rest of the oud too--it's a beauty) and find out more about how Sebastian and other Wittner peg users have fitted these pegs on their ouds.

I'm sorry to have overlooked your question. The Wittner pegs he used were violin pegs (his peg box is always quite slim, so that's possible. Viola pegs are already quite heavy relatively...

As I don't have this oud anymore, I can't take any pictures, but my new Stenzel oud has also Wittner violin pegs, and they work absolutely marvelous. They are not as great looking as perfection pegs, which I have on my seven course Stenzel oud, but function-wise I prefer Wittner by far, because you just turn them. No pressing in involved.

Unfortunately if you had standard wooden pegs installed, the wholes are quite likely too big for the violin pegs, so viola pegs remain the only option, but function-wise they are same, just heavier... but some people prefer heavier pegs anyway, so maybe it is not an issue for you. Stenzel always goes for as light as possible on that end of the instrument...

A close up picture of the pegbox of a Stenzel oud with Wittners installed is here:

Stenzel Pegbox Close up

Go To Top