Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Turkish Oud Lessons via Skype
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 07:48 AM
Turkish Oud Lessons via Skype

Zeynel Demirtas asked me to mention that he has some availability for Skype lessons. His email is zeynel@me.com, and you can also find him on Facebook or Instagram, https://www.instagram.com/zeyneldemirtas/.

I took lessons with him via Skype for a while, and he also came to Vienna for some in-person lessons with me. Zeynel has lots of excellent technical exercises, which I believe are mostly from his teacher, Yurdal Tokcan, but I think some are his own too. The exercises build on each other very nicely, and move from the right hand to the left hand. They also lend themselves to improvising within them, and eventually blending the different components together for improvisation and then taksim.

I've had a few different oud teachers, and learned different and valuable lessons from them all. Zeynel has a unique approach, is an excellent teacher, and I highly recommend him! No matter what you're doing on the oud, I think Zeynel's methods will be a good addition or contribution.
yozhik
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 08:29 AM

Thank you for posting this information. I will actually be in Istanbul next month so I contacted Zeynel today about taking some lessons while I am there.

I have never done any music lessons via Skype and am not sure if I would like that lesson format as much as face-to-face lessons since I am a beginner still struggling with basic technique, but it's good to know that I have the option of continuing via Skype after I leave.

Just curious, what is your experience with Skype lessons vs. in-person lessons? I'm wondering if Skype lessons would be more appropriate for intermediate and advanced players? Since I'm still a beginner struggling with certain aspects of basic technique a big part of my lessons today are working on correcting technique, hand placement, posture, etc. I'm not quite sure how this would work over Skype so am interested in hearing your experience.
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 10:02 AM

That's great Yozhik. I'm sure you will be very happy with Zeynel. :)

Skype lessons are not as good as in-person lessons, but at least for me they are better than any local alternatives. Zeynel is an excellent teacher, and his lessons/exercises will be perfect for you. I think having some in-person lessons first (as you are doing) followed by the Skype lessons will work really well.

Skype lessons with a really good teacher are much better than in-person levels with a not-so-good teacher or even average teacher, in my opinion.
aminateur
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 06:10 AM

I'd like to share my 2 cents about the topic.

Obviously, in-person lessons provide in-depth observation and feedback; in addition, the sound effect is more satisfying.

I have been taking lessons with Zeynel. We have worked on right and left-hand techniques. He is patient and thoughtful and is not in a rush to end the lesson. I have noticed a significant improvement in my technique and am excited for what is yet to come... I would also highly recommend Zeynel for anyone looking to improve their playing technique...
ozanyuceol
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 08:07 PM

I've been playing oud for 8 years on my own. It was a huge mistake to learn without a professional support. Because the level you reach with a wrong technique is absolutely limited.

Then I came across Zeynel Demirtas while searching a brand new Faruk Turunz oud. His improvisations are very deep feeling, and apparently knows how a good oud should be thanks to his experience with both Yurdal Tokcan and Faruk Turunz directly.

After 2-year following him on social media, I came across his Instagram story about his online lessons with a trainee. Without any second thinking, I typed him and we started doing weekly lessons. I had only one concern about myself: Getting used to the "right technique" after wasting my years on a freak technique. So my condition was even harder than someone who starts without any experience.

I can easily say that, his technique is quite easy to be adapted and progressive as long as you make daily exercises of course. And more importantly, the left hand position he starts is such a perfect position that, no one can hold the oud wrongly after passing that very initial lessons. Even my left hand was shaped after 2 weeks of 45min/day exercising.

I've never seen a drawback of the online course. He can notice whether you play rightly or wrongly, and correct clearly.
yozhik
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-16-2018 at 01:16 PM

Great, thanks all of you for your feedback about Skype lessons (specifically with Zeynel). Based on these comments, it does indeed sound like a viable option for me in the future after I come back from Istanbul.
avyossii
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-25-2018 at 10:46 AM

Hi you all, I’ve been playing oud for 8 years now. Most of the time I’d go with the Arabic style until recently that I’ve came around the Turkish style and it catches my heart. I’ve started looking for a Turkish teacher and found Zeynel lessons via Skype. I must admit that I was a bit skeptic regarding this but now, after knowing Zeynel I can definitely say he is a great teacher and has a unique wonderful techniques.

Go To Top