Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Few words of appreciation
Mcazzdi
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-14-2019 at 07:01 PM
Few words of appreciation

Hi everyone, I’m Mehrdad Azadi, and I’m new to this forum. I have been making Kamanche (Persian spike fiddle) for the past few years and I’m located in Seattle, Washington. Since I retired, I spend my days enjoying music by either playing, writing, recording or building instruments.

For past few months, I’ve been building Ouds and finally getting comfortable with the concept of it.

This forum has been a tremendous help and I would like to thank you all for your generosity in passing along information about this beautiful instrument.

I have come a long way from building Kamanche without any resources, which helped me in the learning process. I’m very excited to share my experiences with all of you.
Cheers,

Www.persianlutherie.com
Chris-Stephens
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-15-2019 at 07:16 AM

Welcome! I love kamanche, I play Tar myself and am learning the radif and several tasnifs, always glad to meet someone else with knowledge and experience with persian traditional music and isntruments :) Now i'm curious, how does making kemanche ribs compare to making oud ribs?
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 1-16-2019 at 09:31 PM

Mcazzdi,

Please share photos/videos of your work.

Mcazzdi
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 03:47 PM

Hi Chris,
great to hear that you are learning Radif, such a great repertoire. I have a very nice library of material on hand....
In regards to building Kamanche sounds box, first I went with gourd and did not sound good, than I tried to carve the bowl, very time consuming, heavy and sounded ok and when I approached building out of ribs, challenges started. In Kamanche we are building a sphere from even numbers of staves, 12,24,.....
Staves are short and that creates a challenge bending for sharp curves. I had to make a special jig for heating and bending. Percussion is a must, since I had to make the halves separately and match them afterwards....
To make story short, it is a very challenging but rewarding. I also find building oud much easier since there are plenty of information out there, where there are hardly any info on how to build and specifications on Kamanche.
Cheers

Www.persianlutherie.com
Mcazzdi
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 03:49 PM

bulerias1981
I sure will.
Cheers

Go To Top