Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: request for help in identifying maqam of this song
Onglon
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 02:03 PM
request for help in identifying maqam of this song

hi everyone

could you please advise if this song is in maqam bayati? sorry i know i should be able to identify it by now, but my ear is betraying me on this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaRwAHOvxuo

it is by Sabah and is titled Ahla w sahla

many thanks for your help
bugaga
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 02:49 PM

Yes, it starts with Bayati making extensive use of the Nahawand on Nava (G, if we assumed the piece was in Bayati D).
From 1:15 it modulates to Rast on Nava.
From 2:10 it's a full Nahawand on Nava including its leading tone Hijaz (F#) and then goes back to Bayati again featuring Nahawand on Nava.
3:52 the same modulations from 1:15 are repeated.

So you were absolutely right about the main maqam, just the Rast on the fourth of the scale might have been confusing. In many maqams including Bayati the fourth is a main modulation point and Rast is a common choice in Bayati.

By the way, is anyone in in analyzing pieces and sharing them to the community? I'm talking about modulations and focus of melody rather than full transciptions. Of course, sheet music can help but it's not necessary. I had the feeling analyzing Peşrevs, Saz Semaisis and Taksims was helping me a lot improving my maqam knowledge, but first of all I'm not very experienced in Arabic music and second it's been a while since I was working on it. Although I believe analyzing a piece by yourself has the strongest effect, still it could be nice introducing each other to interesting pieces. Everybody is listening to and playing different music so there's always a lot to introduce each other to.
Onglon
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-17-2019 at 03:08 PM

thanks a lot for the detailed answer! great!

i will share my analysis of the couple of songs i have been working on in a few days

Go To Top