Printable Version  
Author: Subject: External microphone / recording gear for oud
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 06:48 AM
External microphone / recording gear for oud

Hello

as a very beginner in oud recording / amplification on stage, i would like to make a little poll to you.
What configuration are you using ?

From a first look i think small diaphragm condenser mics are a good option.
They oftenly come by pair, do you think stero recording easy for a beginner on home recording ? Or would you more recommend to forget about stero recording and increase the budget on a single mic, reliable at home like on stage ?

How do you deal with this ?

What gear do you use to work the sound then ? I'm making try on computer, ableton and audacity, but i would prefer an external device. Do you think of something ?

Looking forward to read your ways to deal with this

Regards

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 12:14 PM

To take a few exemples i found, maybe you will have feedback on any of those:

SE8 (matched pair)
Oktava 012 (matched pair)
Beyerdynamic MC930 (pair maybe feasible)
Neuman km184 (single one...expensive stuff)

Others options ?

NB/ I've seen the list of the FAQ thread but as it is 6 years ago i thought maybe nice to actualize and get feedbacks from members

rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 01:36 PM

Line Audio CM3 - a very affordable microphone from Sweden for 260 Euros incl. VAT and shipping from
https://www.nohypeaudio.com/lineaudioproducts.htm
search Gearslutz for it; I have a pair, and I have some mics that are at least 10x the price; they can compete with anything (but of course I'm not saying there are no better mics, but hardly any better for that many or even three times that money).

Neumann may be good for a recording in larger hall, but for any smaller situation I would expect them to be to bright.

Oktava are great mics, but I'd prefer Lineaudio CM3.

Superlux S241 are very decent, especially for the price right now: https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_s241.htm

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 10:18 AM

Nice ! Thanks, indeed the Lineaudio seem great option , nice feedback, i would never have found them

Can i ask you, i'm checking their website. Do you have an idea of the configuraiton to shoot this kind of video ?
https://youtu.be/ah8nlyuW_pk

i had the occasion to try a steropair of mic i put in the zoom h4 t have the phantom and then to my camera, but i had a strong and annoying blowing sound n the record (from output line of the zoom to input jack of the canon)
Do you think they work video and sound separately or is there a way to use those mics directly taking the video ?

Regards !

rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 01:52 PM

It's basically what he says: AB means more or less parallel as he shows it at the end of the video. BTW: I have better experience with around 40 cm distance between both mics.

You can also contact Konstantin directly via Youtube; he is a very amiable guy and will certainly responf as his time permits.

I would put them a stretched arm length away from the top of the oud or guitar and slightly higher than the sound hole. A good idea is als to take them either to the left side of the sound hole and let them poin t slightly to the bridge or vice versa, so that there are no parallel surfaces of top and diaphragm.

In theory it should be possible, if the inputs and outputs are well matched, to shoot with the Zoom sound into the camera, but you will certainly get a better sound to shoot independently with camera sound and than aligne the Zoom audio in postproduction with the film sound. For tunes that are not too long (few minutes) there should be no big problem with syncing the audios.

If you look into my Youtube Channel, I do that a lot. Of course with still videos there is no sync problem anyway, but even my 'real'videos do not use camera sound and I don't put the recorder sound into the camera but sync them later.
My Youtube Channel is:

TheMusicalEvents
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:57 AM

Oh sorry if i wasn't clear, yes when i talked configuration i meant the way to achieve video witht he stereo mics. What you developped in the second part of your answer
I was guessing audio and video are recorded separately but being very newbie in this i couldnt be sure. Ok so another field to explore for me, post production, sync between audio and video and will need also to take off the audio of the camera.
Can you advice me on a program to do that, rather intuitive or for which i will find easily tutorials ? Newbie one i mean :)
have a nice day !

rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2019 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by suz_i_dil  
... Ok so another field to explore for me, post production, sync between audio and video and will need also to take off the audio of the camera.
Can you advice me on a program to do that, rather intuitive or for which i will find easily tutorials ? Newbie one i mean :)
have a nice day !

I only can advise you for macOS: you can get pretty far with the pre-installed iMovie. Looks easy but it is quite an effective program. Other than that I only work with Final Cut Express if I need some more complicated film overlays, but the learning curve here is steep.

I'm sure there are good programs for PC platform as well, but I'm not knowledgeable about that...
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 12:05 PM

Oh, i'm on PC. But anyway i'm sure i will find what needed making a search online.
I'll give feedback for this thread, if any has a program to advise would be nice also
Best !

bugaga
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 02:32 PM

Lightworks or Hitfilm. The first I was using for quite a while, but it took me a while to be able to work with it. There are plenty of tutorials though. I came just across Hitfilm recently and seems to be more intuitive to me, but I didn't work with it, yet.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2019 at 02:03 AM

Nice, I'll check those !

Go To Top