Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pegheds mechanical tuning pegs
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 3-10-2019 at 07:57 PM
Pegheds mechanical tuning pegs

Would like to share some information regarding pegheds mechanical tuning pegs. I've been installing these for traumatized oud players who had such bad luck with traditional fitted pegs now for at least 8 years. Normally I try to talk clients into regular pegs, if fitted well they're really great. However we all know what its like tuning bad or poorly fitted pegs.

Pegheds is my preference when it comes to mechanical pegs over the German Wittner pegs. First off, I've actually had to replace the Wittner pegs on several occasions due to faulty or worn mechanism. I've never had to do this with Pegheds. They are custom made (In America) to order for each oud. Exact measurements of the diameter of each hole and the width of the pegbox (for shaft length) for each peg are needed, and John from Pegheds actually makes them by hand to your specific measurements!

On these pegs, the head is actually wood, and the shaft is metal. With pegheds of course you will never have a peg that sticks or slips due to bad fitting or weather/humidity changes. You can push the knob in and that makes the mechanism tighter, and when you pull it out it turns the mechanism more rapidly, and a very nice smooth action. You don't feel the gears like Witter. I also asked him if he did Nahat style knobs, and he said he can if I send them to him. So I shipped some pegs, he cut them up and fitted them on the pegs I ordered. How cool! (see photos below)

Installing these takes either a professional or a skilled amateur. You will need a set of digital calipers capable of measuring inner diameters, and peg hole reamers. There is always the possibility of over reaming holes which many people who get reamers do, then come to me in a panic. This is not a cheap fix in some cases, don't be one of those people! I'd be glad to fit the pegs for you, or if you have the aptitude for this simply follow the instructions very carefully.

http://www.pegheds.com/

rojaros
Oud Junkie

Member Is Online

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 03:58 AM

I have Perfection Pegs (seems from the pictures to be the same as Pegheds) installed in two ouds and I wouldn't look back to traditional wooden pegs even a second, although I didnÄt have the really bad experiences with wooden pegs like others. My ouds were very well itted with wooden pegs, but still, the tuning process is really much faster and easier than pefore.

I also had Wittner tuners and liked them better mechanically, but find Perfections pegs (those with ebony knobs) aesthetically more satisfying...
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 11:43 AM

A video about Peghed mechanical tuning pegs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p7OWyCfp-U&feature=youtu.be

norumba
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2020 at 05:40 PM

I have some form of mechanical pegs on myTemel Sehit oud restoration project ( see thread in the projects forum) but I'm not sure which make. I think Ill like the concept once the oud is finished.

joseph
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-31-2020 at 08:21 PM

What is the experience of changing the strings like compared with wooden pegs?

I have a Veysel Sarikus oud with small, light black mechanical pegs that look ok, and are easy to use but I dread changing the strings because of the time it takes me to wind the strings.

Joseph
Perth, Western Australia
http://www.shortwavepress.com
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 03:39 AM

the pegs are handmade to custom sizes? that sounds incredibly expensive. they do look very good. i have wittner pegs on three ouds, never had any trouble with them
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 03:44 AM

I just saw the website, it says 149 dollars for 4 violin or viola pegs. for an oud you need at least 11........

Go To Top