Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does my floating bridge oud sound "loose"?
dinausuare
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-28-2019 at 12:13 PM
Does my floating bridge oud sound "loose"?

Hello all,

I have recently bought a 57cm iraqi floating bridge oud, made by Amro mostafa.

The oud came with labella 80A strings, I successfully tuned the oud on F2 C3 D3 G3 C4 F4 bashir tuning, but I found that the sound not quite right; I found it somehow "loose" lacking strenght and tension.

Here is a short recording for me playing on the oud (I'm a newbie so please ignore the mistakes):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1efd4t2JHk1dQAS9hfyGz3DqFf-Uait61
(I may have slowed down the original recording, so the tuning may have dropped; but the original tuning is the one above)

I would like to hear your opinion about this, as I think the problem is with the strings. If so what would you recommand as an alternative?
MoH
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-29-2019 at 07:26 PM
Distance From Bridge

Oh yeah, you totally sound like a beginner, that was just awful (sarcasm, obviously, you sound great).

I think the loose feeling probably comes from how far you're plucking the strings from the bridge. If your reesha is close to the sound hole, the strings will feel loose and the sound will be very warm (almost too warm). It should feel tighter if you pluck closer to the bridge.

Also, you have the second lowest string tuned to C rather than A? That LaBella Set is FADGCF, so if anything your C3 string should feel tighter than usual.

Go To Top