Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 3 to 1 Sound Hole Conversion
MoH
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-1-2019 at 08:00 PM
3 to 1 Sound Hole Conversion

Hey guys. I've done some searching around the net and this forum on this topic, and haven't been able to find a definitive answer. Has anyone ever "filled" in the two smaller sound holes in their oud, and if so, did it create a difference in the sound? And how did you go about doing this?
Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 08:36 AM

I tried something similar just to see the difference.
I cut to spruce circular plugs a but thicker that the soundboard. I made the plugs tapered and stuck them snug into the small sound holes.
The result was close to an original single hole oud... a feeling of more vibration inside the instrument.... I don'tknow how to put this in words.... as if the sound circulates inside the oud. Not really my taste, ut still nice.
It took time to match the holes and get rid of the buzzing due bad contact between patches and soundboard...but eventually it worked
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 02:54 AM

Hey Omar! Could you elaborate a bit more on the sound? I bought a second hand oud some time ago; I still don't like the sound very much, it sounds thin, hollow, and somehow the attack of the reesha is heard too loudly compared to my other ouds. I was hoping that by covering the two smaller holes I might add some bass/get rid of some trebliness in the sound. I already tried a bone saddle, which I think made it worse.
So, I guess what I am asking is: did your oud sound less trebly and thin after your experiment?

Go To Top