Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Effect pedals that work well with oud
Kapout
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-3-2019 at 03:55 AM
Effect pedals that work well with oud

Hello,

I got a K&K piezo pickup in my oud and never used it much, but I'm starting a new project with a friend that plays the hurdy-gurdy and we're considering going amplified with effects.

I'm gonna need some pedals (at least looper, eq and reverb, maybe delay, chorus, phaser, octaver...), but the effect pedals are generally meant for guitars or bass.
So I was searching for effect pedals that would work well with the oud, and didn't found much apart from a 2012 post mentioning Jam pedals and Vox Tonelab and some youtube video, often with Godin Multioud. Maybe pedals made for acoustic guitars, like the Mooer Woodverb or a Zoom AC-3 ?

So I was thinking we could make a list or something ?

Do you play with effect pedals or know one that works well with the oud ?

EDIT : Maybe I should have put that ine the "Ouds, Ouds, Ouds" section.
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 5-3-2019 at 05:43 AM

I sometimes use a UX2 instead with several effects loaded up to choose from. I use this in conjunction with reaper DAW for recording and mixing.
However,
I have found that the sound I get from the built in mic in my sons ipad is more than sufficient to capture a great sound. From here i can tweak the sound to my liking using Reaper and various VST plugins to help...

My advice is to capture the purest, cleanest signal first(if you are recording it), and then clean it in post FX where needed.
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 5-3-2019 at 05:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MattOud  
I sometimes use a UX2(older but works great still!) instead with several effects loaded up to choose from. I use this in conjunction with reaper DAW for recording and mixing.
However,
I have found that the sound I get from the built in mic in my sons ipad is more than sufficient to capture a great sound. From here i can tweak the sound to my liking using Reaper and various VST plugins to help...

My advice is to capture the purest, cleanest signal first(if you are recording it), and then clean it in post FX where needed.

https://line6.com/pod-studio/ux2/

https://www.reaper.fm/
Kapout
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-4-2019 at 02:54 AM

Thanks for your reply MattOud :)

I got some mics and an audio interface for recording purposes. However, I was more asking about effects pedals to use live, for maybe more modern sounds.
Kapout
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-6-2019 at 01:21 AM

This video from Beshar AL Azzawi is amazing :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMz52b7hS4g

I don't really like the stock sound of the multioud, but he turned it into something really beautiful!

He uses a Jamman Stereo Looper and several boss effects :
VE-8 (guitar/vocal multieffect), MD-500 (modulation), DD-500 (delay/looper) and a RV-500 (reverb) with some kind of shimmer reverb preset.

norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-17-2019 at 06:56 AM

The Zoom A2.1u is a good in it and csn be found used on EBay for around 200 ish or so. Made for acoustics, it has extensive EQ, amp and Mic modeling capabilities to dial in a good tone and some nice chorus delay verb capabilities on top of that.
Loopers are cool if you like em, and you may want to consider the Electro-Harmonix Freeze pedal which will let you capture along note and hold it for a drone.
I did one studio tune where I took the oud in direct and did a nice distortion patch on it but feedback issues prevent me from doing that live.

Go To Top