Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recommendations on Sukar or Zeryab Syrian Ouds
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 05:52 PM
Recommendations on Sukar or Zeryab Syrian Ouds

I will be in Syria this July and want to purchase an Oud to bring back with me. I am hoping to get some recommendations on whether I should purchase a Sukar Oud, a Zeryab Oud or any other recommendations of others available in Syria. Quality, playability and sound is my biggest priority.

Any advice is much appreciated.
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-9-2019 at 01:49 PM

Does anyone know if Ibrahim Sukar is back making ouds in Syria?

In any case, it seems like Zeryab ouds would be much easier to come by, and I suspect they'd be cheaper too.

I bought a used Zeryab "Shami 1" off of ebay some months back. I think the fingerboards on the cheaper Zeryab models are made from walnut. In my case, there were visible gouges under the rast and jaharkah notes when I received the oud. I put a couple of coats of liquid epoxy on the fingerboard, carefully sanded it level, and it's as solid as a rock now. The nut was also made from soft wood, and I replaced it with a new bone nut from Yaron Naor. The pegs are made of cheap wood painted black, but they work okay with a bit of peg dope. I'll probably replace them with something better eventually. I put a set of German (not Turkish) Kürschner strings on it, and it sounds fantastic. The oud has a wonderful, rich Arabic tone. After fixing it up, I'm very happy with it overall.

Will you be at the Rahim Al Hajj workshop that Nat is putting together later this month? I'd be happy to show you the oud and let you try it out if you like.
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-10-2019 at 04:33 PM
Sukar, Zeryab Ouds and Rahim Al Hajj workshop and concert

Channing,

I have been following Ibrahim Sukar on instagram and it looks like he his building and selling Ouds again in Aleppo, Syria. He has some new really nice designs I’m eager to see and play.

Yes, I will be at the Rahim Al Hajj workshop! I also will be attending his concert at PSU. I am looking forward to it.

I would love to see your Zeryab Oud. I have a close friend who has a new Sukar Oud and a Zeryab Oud. He prefers his Zeryab. It might also depend on the quality due to both Sukar and Zeryab producing a variety of Ouds of different qualities and prices.

Edward

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 12:27 PM

Hey guys, this thread would maybe get more feedback in a different section, maybe "buy and sell ouds"?
This section is for books and CDs . . .

FWIW I've found a huge range of quality with Zeryab ouds, some very nice and some really just for beginners.
Sukar has range as well but overall they are more consistently decent instruments. However, the last Sukar I bought ended up having been made from wood that was improperly dried and the whole face essentially fell apart after a couple years. I was a big fan of Sukar up to that point but now I'm definitely more hesitant.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top