Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud strings for Moroccan Oud
JFlamar
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-26-2019 at 05:37 PM
Oud strings for Moroccan Oud

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and it feels wonderful ! I hope to be in the good thread for this kind of question, i didn't manage to find an answer somewhere else.

So i bought my second oud to an artisan in Marrakech three months ago and i am really happy with it ! Even if the peg box is not very good, the oud sounds way better than my gawharet el fan.

But the artisan told me that the strings are not mounted the standard way in Morocco. On a "C FF AA dd gg cc" tuning :
- the gg strings are in place of the AA ones
- the dd in place of the gg
- the AA in place of the dd
- the F2 and C string are inverted

Is there specific strings for this kind of mounting or can i use something like pyramid super aoud ? Also, do you think i can mount the new strings the standard arabic way or would it be better to keep them this way ?
I'm on the verge of changing the strings for the first time and i wouldn't like to damage my oud :)

Have a nice day !

Charles

IMG_0361 (1).jpg - 74kB IMG_0362 (1).jpg - 83kB
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 03:31 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum...

I'm completely confused by the description the artisan gave you. I've never heard of such a tuning.. However looking at the peg box it appears that the strings are in the usual standard order. However the picture is small, so it's hard to tell.

Can you write out the tuning on the oud as it is from left to right as though you are looking at the Oud from the perspective of the picture you posted? That might clarify things.

alim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 12:26 PM

I think he means the peg-to-string correspondence. In Morocco the peg-to-string assignment is sometimes done differently from what is done in the middle east. I attached an image.

Cheers,

Ali-

JFlamar
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-28-2019 at 01:05 AM

Hello, thanks for your replies !

I meant indeed the peg-to-string correspondence, the tuning is standard.

Here is the picture of my pegbox with the annotations.

IMG_0362 (1).jpg - 92kB
alim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-28-2019 at 12:19 PM

Yup, that is what I have as well :) It works for me so thats what I use on all my Ouds. If you don't like that configuration, you can change it when you change your strings next. It doesn't really matter (though some might argue that there is a difference in the stress on the pegbox...), just preference.

Cheers,

Ali-

Go To Top