Printable Version  
Author: Subject: cumbus strings
NodalNim
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 08:41 AM
cumbus strings

Hi there,

My name is Andrew, and I play mandolin and guitar. Sometime within the next year or so, I'm going to be looking into buying an acoustic fretless string instrument. I'm interested in both the oud and the cumbus. I've found many retailers of both online, but what I have not found at all are retailers of cumbus strings. I'm a bit perplexed by this. I'm assuming there is a cumbus player or two here, and to those players, I'd like to ask the question: what do you do for strings?

I'm also interested in general opinions of the cumbus as an instrument, specifically the fretless version. Since this is a forum dedicated to the oud, presumably, most players here favor the oud. I'm interested to know why. What are the significant differences between these instruments?

Thanks!

-Andrew Heathwaite
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 09:27 AM

Welcome!

Do a search on cumbus here and you will find some info. I remember some posts a while back about it. I'll respond to your second question, since I don't know about strings.

The cumbus is a new instrument invented in the last 100 or so years. I think it sounds great for folk style playing or festive ocassions, but for classical music the oud is superior. Asking why one favors the oud over the cumbus is like asking why one favors the oud over the guitar. They are so different sounding and have completely different applications. It's really a personal thing, I suppose. If you like the sound of the cumbus, if it makes you happy that's great. For me the oud is more than just an instrument. It's an expression of the meditteranean heritage. (not just Arab heritage, even though I am arab, well, technically a Phoenician according to my grandfather, but that's another subject!) A part of a culture. My grandfather would speak of the oud when I was a child as if it were magical or special in some way, probably why it is known as the "prince" among instruments.

spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 10:00 AM

I have several ouds and a cumbus. The strings I use for the cumbus I buy from Lark in the Morning in San Francisco. They are fine and cost about $ 8 a set.

As far as the second question, it is exactly like Jameel said. The cumbus makes a lot of noise like a banjo. It is intended for weddings and other celebrations, or if you want to be heard when playing with other people and you are not electrified.

I also have another use for it. I tune it like a Greek Bouzouki and now I have a Bouzouki with quarter tones, since it is fretless.

There is no real comparison with the oud, in my opinion. I don't want to invoke the mystique that Jameel correctly mentions, instead I'll simply say that the oud is for another mood, a contemplative, romantic mood. Remember you can play the trumpet in a military marching band too, and it is considered "music" also.

Spyros C.
NodalNim
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 08:02 PM

Thank you both for your comments. Perhaps I would be able to buy cumbus strings through snail mail from the store in San Francisco. I think I should seriously look into the oud as well.

Thanks,
Andrew
Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 07:11 PM

I own a cumbus (the professional model, of course, with all the fruit embossed in the bowl, which greatly improves its tone, and also makes a nice Jello mold,) and play it occasionally. Because of the high action they tend to sound shrill and brassy, which, for all I know, may have been Mr. Cumbus' intent. But let's face it--One hundred cumbus players at full volume could blow ACDC right off a concert stage. Anyhow, I lowered the bridge on mine, very low, so the action is smooth and slick, and I've been experimenting with plucking it up close to the where the neck joins the body. I've been using both a risha and a flatpick, and I can manage to get a very sweet, mellow tone from it, a bit like a lavda, which gives it a lot more dimension, though it will probably not cause Jameel to toss his ouds in the dumpster and become a cumbus master---
Brynley
Oud Addict

Mood: very positive

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 06:50 PM
Cumbus strings

I recently got one of these in order to be heard when busking on a buisy street situation, its a fun instrument , but as mentioned cannot compare to the oud in expression or subtlety of emotion. Mandolin strings fit, but you,ll need several sets of different guages, and compare the guages to what is on the instrument, the mandolin strings are better quality. Have fun (thats what cumbus means after all!!)
MrOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 07:43 PM

I couldn't help but put in a few words of mine about the cumbus. I started playing the cumbus way before I even saw an oud. The first time I touched an oud was during a summer vacation in Istanbul. The oud was a Manol and it belonged to the great master Coskun Sabah. I was amazed by how easily I could play it. And the sound of the instrument was just incredible. When I returned home to Diyarbakir (South Eastern Turkey) I modifed my cumbus to obtain a sound somewhat close to the oud. First I lowered action as much as I could. I took a hand towel, rolled it into a cylinder like shape, and stuck it under the strings behind the bridge, not too tight though. I played it with a very soft mizrap. Cumbus owners, try it. It'll be fun. You might even be able to fool some people :)
What I like about the cumbus is, you can throw it in the back of your car (no one should dare use the words "throw" and "oud" in the same sentence) and go anywhere. My father's favorite cumbus had a bunch of dents on it, and the skin was duct taped :)) Best of all, as some others have mentioned before, with the cumbus no amplification is needed to entertain a small crowd.

Regards
Udi Mike

Go To Top