Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: mic issue
Oudsofjoy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 03:39 AM
mic issue

I recently purchased a few ouds from a builder in Turkey. however the mic inserts have an issue. when the plug moves it stops transmitting. I have a feeling it's the poor connection. Anyone have experience with these?
I wonder if they need to be soldered.

oudmic.jpg - 176kB
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 04:19 AM

That is exactly what it sounds/looks like to me. In your pic, one of the connections is missing/not soldered?

Is there another wire hanging inside loose that looks like it came off that other side in the pic?
If so, you can always try connecting with an alligator clip to test. If it works, solder it back on...
Hope you can get them going. Sounds weird that more than one has issues? I can see one loose maybe, but more is confusing...
Oudsofjoy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 04:28 AM

The one wire is attached to the ground and one to the clip. all of the ouds have that same connection. Getting an alligator clip and testing it seems to be a good idea. I tried contacting the builder a few times haven't responded.
MattOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 06:01 AM

It sounds like this is an unbalanced connection, which only uses one conductor(and a ground).
the wiring may be fine, but check the soldering points that none are cold soldered(broken).

Also, when plugged in, if there is any movement you can loose connection. It is hard to explain how they connect inside, but looking at this is helpful:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/3799/files/beginners_guide_to...

Hopefully the builder will have some info if he gets back to you...
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 9-18-2019 at 04:58 AM

Yes - these connections need to be soldered.
Also, the assembly needs to be stabilized at the point where its housed, in the oud.
I hope you hear from the builder, because somebody in the shop didn't do their job,
this is very shoddy workmanship.

If you're near a guitar shop that works with pickups in
acoustic guitars, they'll be able to help you out. Best of luck to you.

Regards,
Paul

Oudsofjoy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 02:43 AM

Thank you all,
I took it out and bought a new jack meant for acoustic guitars, and soldered it and mounted beautifully. The sound is great. I decided to just replace these jack on all the ouds I have and solder them. They’re cheap just takes a few mins to do.
Now that I figured it out, I have an Iraqi oud with floating bridge that doesn’t have a pickup, thinking of drilling a hole and add a piezo pick up.
MattOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 06:27 AM

That is great NEWS! I think you did the right thing, something was so off with the other ones...

Glad to hear you learned how to install these. Maybe you will consider posting a small tutorial teaching others in future to know how to do it as well...
Great stuff!
paulO
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-23-2019 at 01:23 PM

Dude - awesome work !! Just remember, when you add the pickup to the Iraqi oud - the placement of the pickup can make a huge difference in the amplified sound.
Good luck man, and way to go !

Regards,
Paul
Oudsofjoy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-24-2019 at 03:12 AM

Paul, where’s the best spot to place the pick up on the Iraqi oud with floating bridge? I was thinking to place it between the bridge and the bottom.
paulO
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2019 at 07:41 PM

You could try that and see how it goes. I've played ouds with the pickup screwed to the top of the bridge on the treble end of the bridge, and it sounded great.
I had an oud that the luthier who built it was placing the pickup (inside the oud), and it sounded great - then he moved it a fraction of an inch...and the sound changed dramatically - and he wasn't able to find that magic again...so it can be frustrating. Maybe Dr. Oud, or somebody else can help with a place to start....I only know, the placement's important, and if it sounds good to you the first time - don't move it :). Best of luck.

Regards - PaulO
Oudsofjoy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-25-2019 at 02:51 AM

With piezo disc it has to be glued on. So once I put it its permanent.
teslim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-25-2019 at 07:05 AM

brother, i have put in many of the piezo discs on oud , especially the k and k twin,,usually in front of the bridge about 1/2-1in, one on the base side around the F or A string and one on the treble side,,,however , every oud has different response so the best is to use the thin double stick tape they provide to try a couple of different placements first for the right balance,,, this is time consuming as you need to tune the strings up and down several times to reach into the sound hole, but very much worth there effort.. also be careful as the top wood can be very easily cracked around the sound hole especially if there is a binding or circle inlay there..placement under the bridge will most likely be too much vibration for the piezos and they may peak on certain frequencies,, behind the bridge will most likely be much thinner and nasal sound..once placement is good take off the tape and put on with a small drop of super glue but use a little alcohol to remove any dust or residue from where you are placing ,,,the can be taken out in the future if needed as they have a debonder which works with a little spatula working the area very slowly and carefully as not to damage the top, it is also a good idea to tape the extra wires inside into a bundle so they won't touch any surface and vibrate,,best of luck

Go To Top