Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: parameters to compare ouds
pouryatorabi
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 11:02 AM
parameters to compare ouds

Hi everyone
I'm new to oud and music so I wanted to know some parameters to compare ouds, What really matters when you want to compare ouds? I'm a little confused so I would like to know the scientific side, Please share useful posts, papers and links ... .
I'd also like to know how to compare wood kinds and different component of the oud.
Badra
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 10:18 AM

If you are new to oud and music, I think all these specific comparisons won't matter. Just find yourself an affordable oud and learn to play.

Later, I think the biggest considerations will be: smaller scale oud vs bigger oud, cedar vs spruce soundboard, type of strings, number of strings and tuning of them, floating bridge or fixed bridge. Other things like wood material for bowl and number of sound holes matter less. You can search this forum for all the subjects listed above.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 10:53 AM

The tastes and skills of the luthier matter more than any technical considerations.

What does the luthier want it to sound like, and does he or she have the skill to make it sound that way?
Does what they want it to sound like match what you want it to sound like?

Certainly if you want a Turkish sound, then an Arab luthier might have a very different idea in making their ouds of what the best sound is, and vice versa.
If you want an estimate, the aesthetics and skills of the luthier are 80-90% of the oud, the materials and technical aspects are 10-20%.

Like all things in music, this isn't about science or information; it's about aesthetics and experience.
Why are you interested in the oud? Who are the oud players you like? What kind of ouds do they play?

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top