Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What is this descending tremolo technique?
MoH
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 11:31 AM
What is this descending tremolo technique?

Can someone explain what exactly is going on in these taqasim?

https://youtu.be/0ZJqwYMupaY?t=254 (4:14)

https://youtu.be/08DcuUp7L3Q?t=31 (31 s)

I think they're done slightly differently in each video, but to me it seems like they're starting on F, then playing tremolo while going down to D, then maybe playing E flat/ half flat during the tremolo. I've tried to replicate it, but I'm thinking I'm not actually understanding what's going on. Any advice?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 01:26 PM

Yes! I have advice. In the lower right hand corner of the youtube rectangle is a series of symbols. The first one (left-most) looks like a gear or a flower. Click on that and then select Playback Speed and then Select 25%. Play back the passage as I just now did and you will immediately understand what is being played and how it is being done— as I just now did. It's also instructive to hear and watch at 50% and 75% speed.
Yes, the two videos show the same technique being applied a bit differently. In the first video two "pull-offs" from the index finger to the open string are followed by a tremolo of four strokes. In the second video a more prolonged tremolo precedes a single pull-off.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 06:57 PM

So in the first one, he plays
F Eb D Eb--- D C

Essentially, I would think of this as a turn on Eb (F Eb D Eb) going into a tremolo on Eb, ending with a Eb D C figure that is super common in oud taqasim. The crucial thing here is that the last D is on an upstroke (or a pull-off—both ways are prevalent).

The turn itself can be articulated multiple ways:

F Eb D Eb (all picked, D U D U or U D U D, depending on the rhythmic placement/emphasis)
F (Eb) D Eb (D P U D)
F (Eb D) Eb (D P P D)
F Eb (D) Eb (D U P D)

D=down
U=up
P=pull off

There are other options but those are the main ones for that particular turn. But really you could substitute any version of the turn there:

Eb F Eb
Eb F Eb D Eb
D Eb F Eb
Eb D F Eb

Are all legitimate options there.

In the second example, the target is D, not C. Otherwise it is similar, except that the final D is played with a pull off instead of picked (a very common technique when the target note is an open string).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top