Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: oud maker advice
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-19-2005 at 02:14 PM
oud maker advice

hey maybe Jameel or Dr.oud could give some insight on this..
I started experimenting oud making just by using my tourist oud and making it better so I dont have much to loose. I removed the finish on the face using the alcool swab method it's still a little stained but is much smoother and has opened up the sound a lot.

Now I made a new nut out of bone to replace the poor wood one. Do you have any advice to make all the notches equal? and how to get it has low as possible for the lowest action but still have no buzing? Just a few trics would be apreciated. thanks
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 3-19-2005 at 06:46 PM

Spacing for the strings at the top nut depends on the width of the neck. Space the first and last strings 2mm from each edge, space the pairs 2mm apart. subtract this total (depends on 11 or 12 strings) from the neck width then divide by 5 to get the spacing between the pairs. These are center to center measurements. Use a small round jeweler's file to make the grooves. The grooves don't need to be more than 1/2 the string diameter deep. Make the grooves long enough so the string doesn't pass over any sharp edge. Round over the front of the grooves to eliminate sharp edges at the front side. The bottom of the strings should be about 1 mm above the fingerboard (assuming it's flat).

If you need to flatten the fingerboard, make a sanding block 11 inches long, and flatten it on a piece of glass or something really flat. use a long sheet of sandpaper, 60-80 grit to flatten, then 100-150 to smooth and 220 to finish the surface. Polish it with 0000 steel wool and apply a little lemon or vegtable oil and wipe it dry. Don't get any oil on the face.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-19-2005 at 09:45 PM
thank you

verry helpfull has your mood describes:D

Go To Top