Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Problems with Aquila 130 Light Strings
animalwithin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-28-2019 at 07:41 PM
Problems with Aquila 130 Light Strings

I ordered a new pack of Aquila 130 light tension strings from Strings By Mail for my oud and much to my dismay, upon opening the package, one course of strings was a completely different color than the rest (the two d strings). Upon taking them out and stringing my oud, I also can't help but notice that they are nearly as thick as the low C string.

I contacted Strings by mail and was basically told that that is how the strings are from Aquila which was a lousy response, not sure I'll be ordering from them again.

I've attached a photo. I'm concerned that these are a mismatched course and that it's too much tension on the bridge. Thoughts?

**The red strings are the new package, the silver ones are the old strings. I stopped stringing until I get some answers as to what's going on with this package.

IMG_3582.JPG - 144kB
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2019 at 08:43 PM

The seller is telling you the truth. The Aquila set comes with a black unwound third. There is a page on the Aquila website describing what and why and it has a number of photos showing 5 red courses and one black:

https://aquilacorde.com/en/blog-en/modern-music-blog/aquila-oud-stri...

animalwithin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-28-2019 at 08:55 PM

Jody to the rescue as always, thank you :bowdown:

I just found it odd that the strings were a random color in the middle of the instrument and they do look much thicker than the other strings. If the seller gave me as detailed a description as you, I would have been much happier.

Thank you Jody!!
Badra
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 03:02 PM

I bought this set because I've liked Aquila in the past, and I prefer plain dd strings. Unfortunately, although this dd is plain, it replicates the sound of a wound string. So they should be great for people who prefer that. But for people who want the sound of a plain dd, it isn't what you are looking for.

Having one string a different color string isn't the greatest idea either. I ended up using one of my ancient nylgut Aquila dd strings that I purchased 15 years ago. So one string is white while the rest are red. That doesn't bug me too much though.
animalwithin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-27-2020 at 07:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Badra  
I bought this set because I've liked Aquila in the past, and I prefer plain dd strings. Unfortunately, although this dd is plain, it replicates the sound of a wound string. So they should be great for people who prefer that. But for people who want the sound of a plain dd, it isn't what you are looking for.

Having one string a different color string isn't the greatest idea either. I ended up using one of my ancient nylgut Aquila dd strings that I purchased 15 years ago. So one string is white while the rest are red. That doesn't bug me too much though.

I actually like the sound of the wound strings so I don't mind that aspect. The coloring is just bizarre, however. If it was the top or bottom strings I'd be more okay with it but to have completely different colored strings in the middle of the instrument just looks tacky.

Go To Top