Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What maqam is this?
nassic_zhd
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 02:09 AM
What maqam is this?

Hello, can someone help me understand what maqam this is in the first two bars of the image?
It's from Nuri Halil Poyraz's Bashraf Ajam (acem pesrev?) on Bb Ajam.

It looks like F Hijazkar to me but it also goes to the lower Ebb, D, C, which makes me think it could be D Saba. Any insight?
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 07:44 AM

You are right, the first two measures display maqam Saba, with emphasis on its dominant third degree (F). In Turkish music Saba is the most common modulation in compositions in maqam Ajam Ashiran. From the transcription into Arabic notation that you posted it does look like the two measures could be in Hijazkar on F, but the original Turkish notation indicates that this is not the case. The Hijaz jins in Turkish notation has the third degree flattened by a comma, and in these two measures of the second hane the third degree––e in the Turkish notation, equivalent to a in the Arabic notation––is not flattened but remains e natural.
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 08:06 AM

Just for clarity, this pesrev is Acem Asiran. Yes, correct that it's showing saba with a very clean turnaround to acem asiran in bar 3. As al-Halabi says, saba or related is considered the first modulation for acem asiran makam.

What about the beginning of the 3rd hane? That's also a common modulation but I don't really know what to call it. That kind of nihavend from neva starting on muhayyer?

Bar 3 of the 3rd hane we call sevkefza
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 09:58 AM

This is interesting, in that there is no resolution to the tonic of saba. It's a bit like delanshin in Arabic music (not sure if this occurs in Turkish), where there is saba on the 6th degree of Rast but it rarely fully resolves to the 6th. Here it's on the 3rd degree of Ajam instead. But delanshin's intonation is closer to hijaz intonation than true saba, as I understand it.

Similar modulations in Arabic repertoire (in Ajam) seems more likely to use saba zamzam (with Eb) than saba. It's interesting to see how some of these practices diverged according to local tastes.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 11:41 AM

Brian, good point that it doesn't make any resolution like saba whatsoever so, it'd be more practical to call it cargah. It fact the do to fa move between the 1st and 2nd bars is kind of the give away.

Adam
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 03:04 PM

I know we've had this discussion before, but cargah is apparently quite unlike the Arabic jiharkah. What you call cargah I don't think has any equivalent in Arabic music.

Go To Top