Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Title and makam of Arab song
Tulis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 08:15 AM
Title and makam of Arab song

Hello, can someone help me which song is and which of makam in the following link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPviYAOzpyk
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 08:23 AM

It is Saalouni el Nass, by Ziad Rahbani (sung originally by Fairouz), in maqam Bayati

Fairuz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSH0liXO7BI

Ziad Rahbani (instrumental version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHZ-wrF2LCs

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Tulis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 09:53 PM

I have found a music sheet for that, by this title. Thank you very much for your help.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 5-11-2020 at 02:42 PM

The definitive recording of this, for most folks, is that of Fairouz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh1NS5R-shA If you U2U me your email, I will email your at least 4 versions of the music sheet. It's always interesting to compare them.
Tulis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-5-2023 at 08:25 AM

Hello, i have many of different music sheets for Saalouni el Nass, but i have confusing, because i am not able to recognize which is the closer to original song.

Can anybody help me to suggest the closest to original ?
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 6-11-2023 at 06:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tulis  
Hello, i have many of different music sheets for Saalouni el Nass, but i have confusing, because i am not able to recognize which is the closer to original song.

Can anybody help me to suggest the closest to original ?

You are welcome to post them for comparison; I would be happy to give my opinion. But, Arabic music being improvisational, like jazz, I would recommend only using the scores as a general guideline, to learn the BASIC melody and structure of the song, and "perfecting" your performance of the song by listening to and learning from the recorded versions. I know this can be tedious at first, but learning Arabic songs by ear will get easier, the more you do it.
Tulis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-11-2023 at 11:54 PM

I am trying to hear this song, but without result in specific point.
I am sending two different music scores and i marked with red lines the points that i can't clear the right one with my ear. Can anybody suggest me the right case?

I am hearing from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHZ-wrF2LCs

I think that hearing the second score is closest to the video.

2.png - 106kB

1.png - 180kB
dutorchi
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-12-2023 at 12:29 AM

Bar 1 in the first score is the equivalent of bar 3 of the second score you sent. The first score omitted the opening rhythmic playing and started straight away with the main melody :)
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-12-2023 at 07:07 AM

As noted above the circled sections in the two scores don't correspond to the same part, since one has the intro and the other doesn't.

But overall the problem is a philosophical/aesthetic misunderstanding of how Arabic music works, not in any of the sheets.

They are all "right" and also none of them are "right".

This is because Arabic music does not have the same kind of specificity that Western notation does. There is an openness and fluidity to what the melody "is" that is slightly indeterminate. Western notation was not invented for indeterminacy, and requires one to be very specific in order to write things down.

The problem with this is that the specificity is always false, no matter what choice one makes. It cannot be "right" because what is truly "right" is more open to interpretation than any particular choice.

To read Arabic songs in western notation you have to understand that what is written is intended to be a representation of a range of possibilities, not any one specific possibility.

If you listen to the recording, they are playing both and neither of the examples you posted. In fact they play the figure 3 times in the beginning and again at 4:15. Each time is slightly different. If you listen to the Fairuz version there are another 3 different ways to play it. The orchestra playing it the second time in the Fairuz version would probably be the closest to a "canonical" version if you wanted one. All the accordion iterations have lots of variation.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Tulis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-13-2023 at 12:12 AM

Your explanation really impressed me. Although I have been involved with the oud for years, I played traditional Greek and a little Turkish, but I never faced a similar "problem".
Now you have given me a taste of the deeper essence of Arabic music which I have not hitherto known.
The Arabic music is magnificent, but it takes a lot of effort, because we have a Western way of thinking.
Thank you.

Go To Top