Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Connecting mic to computer
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 3-21-2005 at 11:04 AM
Connecting mic to computer

Hey all,

I was just wondering how some of the folks out there get their recordings on the computer. I have been using a basic computer microphone but the quality is horrible. I already have a pick up that I can attach to my oud and it has one of those big metal plugs at the end that most electric guitar chords have, I don't know what its called. Also, do these programs come with their own software for recording and such? Finally where can I get these products at the lowest price. Thanx

Adnan
tezza
Oud Addict

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 3-21-2005 at 11:14 PM

To record the oud, you can use a pickup or a microphone. Most computers have a 'mic' socket, otherwise know as a ‘minijack’ – it’s the same size as the socket for headphones for a MP3 player. To use your pickup you could just step down the size of the guitar plug using an adaptor (from Radio Shack or similar), but you’ll still get pretty bad sound. That’s because the AD (analogue-digital) converter is very cheap and also located in the noisy (electrically) insides of your computer.

The next step up is a card to put in your computer or an external box that has a USB or Firewire connection to your computer. These generally have a ‘guitar’ lead connection (1/4 inch) and sometimes a three-pin connector (for a microphone). The AD conversion takes place in the box and it’s transmitted to the computer via USB or Firewire. When you buy the box it generally has a ‘lite’ version of one of the popular music software programs to get you started. In reality, these programs are more than enough for most people starting out.

I use an M-Audio FireWire Solo interface and Apple’s Logic Express to record the music. My oud has a built-in pickup and I use a microphone to capture more of the ‘room’ sound. I’ve used PCs in the past but went back to recording using a Mac again a few years ago. I’m assuming you’re running Windows, so I guess someone else can help you with that side of things...
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 3-22-2005 at 08:15 AM

Hey,

Yeah I'm using a PC. I just bought a laptop about 2 days ago so I will probably need something through USB. I wanted to buy a powebook but those things are way overpriced. I found that I get a pc with the same features for almost a thousand dollars less!. Anyways, yeah I've seen those pieces you connect to the USB port. I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for specific units that they use or know about.
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-22-2005 at 12:39 PM

hi revaldo

best results you get with a condenser mic for examble the rode NT 1
but this needs a little mixing desk with phantom power also

hi tezza

i also using a mac with logic express 7 isn't it a great app.?
:buttrock:

regards
mourad
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 3-22-2005 at 04:31 PM

Hi Tezza, Your post tells me that you are an electrical engineer? Can you confirm?
I am an electrical engineer, but I converted into embedded software development several years ago;)
That's one of many reasons I can't quit my day job!:))
tezza
Oud Addict

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 3-22-2005 at 09:34 PM

Hatem_Afandi, no, I'm actually a designer/photographer/travel writer/musician (no, really!) and I've used digital recordign stuff since the first days of ProTools...

mourad_X, yes the rode NT 1 is a good inexpensive condenser (I'm Australian, so I'll happily promote it!). The FireWire Solo has phantom power so I don't need to go through a desk, it works fine.

revaldo29, When you look at a PowerBook, you need to take into account the extra software, reliability and resale value! But don't get me started on Mac Vs PC...

So, I can recommend the m-audio stuff (m-audio.com), probably the fast track USB would be the best bet. Would you want to record vocals as well and how much do you want to spend?

Go To Top