Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buzuq fret size
Iskandar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-1-2020 at 10:42 AM
Buzuq fret size

Does anyone know the optimum line size for buzuq frets. I don't know the diameter of the fishing line I used off the top of my head but I used 10lb line. I feel like I can go smaller. Also is it common practice to mix sizes to reduce buzzing? I built back bow into the neck and notice with humidity changes I sometimes get buzzing on the lowest two frets. I think maybe I can use 10lb line for the two first frets, then use 8lb for the rest...
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 07:18 AM

From my experience with baglama saz, it appears that the frets are uniform size line, and the number of wraps were the same. On Persian Tar however, the line appears uniform but the fret thickness is different for smaller intervals, meaning there are less loops on some frets. I think the thickness can affect the action for the small intervals.

teslim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 06:16 PM

most buzuq frets are very thin 10- 15 lb line usually works but the diameters are most important as the lb resistance seems very arbitrary depending on the strength of the nylon or composite ,,,i would contact nezih ghadban and ask him to send a picture of what he uses as the brand is very important,,,i have used varying degrees of thickness if i have a neck that is not quite level or has a slight back bend, starting with a thicker gauge near the nut and changing to a lighter gauge around the 10th fret,,thus you can keep the action low as possible,,,this is a way to do it if you don't want to plane the neck level and retie all the frets , i have had good luck just replacing the lower ones and leaving the original ones above that on,,,tar frets are very different as they are gut so i don't think that would necessarily apply to what you are trying to accomplish...good luck Brother
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2020 at 01:37 AM

hello
can you make a feedback when you will have found the right reference of fret to use.
I would be interested to know
i used setar gut frets on my buzuq because i didnt found the right nylon downtown and didnt knew what to order online

teslim
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2020 at 01:27 PM

suzidil.. you can email me at garyhaggerty@mac.com and i can send you some pictures of the line i use for saz and buzuq,, the setar fret material has a softer sound on the strings and wears out quite fast over time , nylon is much more durable and gives the best zing for buzuq
Iskandar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 10:30 AM

The string tension on the neck has removed the back bow and it doesn't buzz anymore. Thanks for the replies.
Iskandar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 10:31 AM

Btw, here's a picture of my homemade buzuq. When I learn to play better I'll share a video

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1KR4oSzJyFMQoPEf8
Iskandar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 10:36 AM

The fishing line I used is P-Line flurocarbon in 10lb. I'm an avid fisherman so I had an old warped bass neck sitting around and tested different lines to see which ones stayed tight and didn't stretch. My top two lines were the p line flurocarbon and berkley trilene big game in 10lb.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 05:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by teslim  
suzidil.. you can email me at garyhaggerty@mac.com and i can send you some pictures of the line i use for saz and buzuq,, the setar fret material has a softer sound on the strings and wears out quite fast over time , nylon is much more durable and gives the best zing for buzuq

email send, thanks for proposing :)

Go To Top