Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Same gauge for gut strings as nylgut, or order next gauge down for gut?
grassyknoll
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-15-2020 at 08:09 PM
Same gauge for gut strings as nylgut, or order next gauge down for gut?

This is the question.. (in title)

I've read both opinions on the web.

Aquila (Italy) themselves and others say order the same gauge

Aquila USA FAQ and a lutenists page from the UK say order the next gauge down in gut (vs. nylgut), because Nylgut is stretchy

Anyone here have any hands-on experience with this?

It would be comforting to settle the score before blowing lots of $ on gut strings that might be the wrong gauge;)

Cheers:)
~Noel
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-16-2020 at 05:53 AM

I don't know if enough oud players are using gut to really answer the question. The other problem is that there are different kinds of gut strings —not sure how those variations might affect it. I would think the gut string manufacturer would be the best one to answer the question—are you ordering aquila gut? I've heard good things about this company, they have some info and calculators as well: https://www.gamutmusic.com/strings

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
grassyknoll
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-17-2020 at 10:30 AM

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback Brian. Much appreciated on this and other threads. Your shared experience with strings and oud playing both have helped fast-track building custom sets to tailor my sound - it's moving forward thanks to you and others

Thanks for the recommendation of Gamut. Their site did look pretty <b>shoot</b>-together. I may look a little deeper into them. 2 nominees I had were
1)Damien Duglueki(sp?) out of the US, voted the best by Rob Mackillop - a YouTuber/classical guitarist who very graciously shares performances which indicate which strings he is using (very helpful)
2) Bow Brand - a harp string company out of the UK. Surprisingly affordable and also recommended by Rob.

I will ask some string manufacturers and post the answers here, if they have them. (As well as my own research , when I finally order gut to compare with nylgut)..in that way maybe it will help other oud players who want to give gut a try, and how to use their existing nylgut experience to make an informed order (hopefully)

Go To Top