Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How does action adjustment affect sound on the Zeryab Models?
fameeyyoud
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-17-2020 at 03:29 AM
How does action adjustment affect sound on the Zeryab Models?

Hey guys!

So i recently bought a Zeryab Shami #1 that has the adjustable action feature. So i was wondering does the difference in action just affect the comfortableness of playing or the actual sound?
What i noticed is that even though it sounds great, it has a really high level of hall and sustain to it. However what im trying to achieve is that dull Farid al atrash sound where it almost sounds like he is playing drums. Really short tones that just sound for a second and then mute. No sustain no hall. You get this a lot with older ouds usually. Its hard to describe what i mean but i hope you somehow get what im trying to explain.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 6-17-2020 at 07:08 AM

IMO important components of that dry Arabic sound are a medium/high action, a good sized body, and a scale length of at least 60cm. String age and choice will also make a difference.
hakimoud
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-20-2020 at 12:02 AM

I agree with Jason, and if you like old arabic oud sound try the Aquila nylgut oud ( all red ) ;)
JassimbinMater
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-20-2020 at 12:19 PM

Another factor is the actual composition of the face of the oud. Most of Farid’s ouds have a lot of decoration on the face compared to most ouds, you tend to get a shorter sustain with ouds like that.

I don’t know if any luthiers nowadays actually strive for a short sustain, the majority at least try for a sustain as long as possible. You could replicate the effect a bit by cutting off the notes yourself with your fingers.

Go To Top