Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Makers/Shops in the UAE?
Tommy
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-23-2005 at 04:55 AM
Oud Makers/Shops in the UAE?

Hello everyone,

I am going to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Muscat soon and want to purchase an oud while I am over there. Are there any good makers or shops around those cities that I should visit? Any tips or recommendations on local makers would be much appreciated, thanks.

Also, just saw Radio Tarifa live and their oud player used a flanger/phaser pedal along with it, it sounded absolutely haunting. Just a tip if anyone amplifies their oud.
habeebkum
Oud Maniac

Mood: arab!

[*] posted on 3-23-2005 at 08:29 AM

hi tommy, i grew up in abu dhabi. there is a music teacher called mohammed abdul rahim (syrian) who just recently sent me a fantastic oud! i would recommend giving him a call when u r there and tell him u heard about him thru me! my full name amr alabidi. there is also a oud shop that i used to go to when i was younger, i am not sure what it is called but it is the only oud shop in 'khalidiyyah street' and it is close to saloon jihad. so tell the cab driver and he'll take u there, if not, he'll get u v close and u can ask around. there is a guy called ustaz ammar(also syrian), also mention my name and he'll sort u out with watever u need. if u need mohammed number then i could email it to you or u2u. say hi to my beatiful abu dhabi when u get there!!i miss it!!:(

habeebkum
Tommy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 03:18 AM
thanks!

Thank you Mr. Alabidi,

I see that you're in the UK, I am currently in Ireland, are there any good Oud makers in the UK or Ireland?

I am still going to the UAE though next spring. As I am of American nationality, should I be going anywhere near a place called "Saloon Jihad?" I have great respect for other religions so I'm not going to be a loud offensive american tourist or anything while I'm over there, but is there anything I should know just in case? Thank you very much.

-Tommy
habeebkum
Oud Maniac

Mood: arab!

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 05:46 AM

am sorry dude but that made me laugh!u haven't got anything to worry about!! 'saloon' means salon or barbers shop and jihad is the barbers name!!
abudhabi is, without exageration, the safest place in the world!!!! when ur there make sure u go to traditional arabic restaraunts and enjoy everything! and i dont know of any oud makers in the uk.
take care

habeebkum
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy
Thank you Mr. Alabidi,

I see that you're in the UK, I am currently in Ireland, are there any good Oud makers in the UK or Ireland?

-Tommy

You should contact David Parfitt . He has one of the oldest websites for oud and he's in England.

Tommy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-25-2005 at 11:19 AM

pardon my ignorance of that being a name, didn't know. I just had to make sure, heh. Thank you
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 12:08 AM

Hey! I live in Dubai and there is this place called Crowne Plaza, you would be able to get ouds there just go up on the escalator!

Go To Top