Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Muhayyer Kurdi
PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-29-2020 at 12:59 PM
Muhayyer Kurdi

Can someone give me the lowdown on this makam? Huseyni-like but starting on E?? Thanks
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 6-29-2020 at 04:50 PM

It's pretty straightforward and very similar to Kurdilihicazkar makam but far less complicated. The MAIN difference being Kurdilihicazkar tonic is the pitch rast while Muhayyerkurdi tonic is the pitch dugah.

Similar to Kurdilihicazkar, Muhayyerkurdi can begin with different flavors but, maybe limited to two...most typically:

1. Feels like makam Muhayyer, starting around the pitch muhayyer. You can lose the Ussak flavor around muhayyer and play the pitch sunbule, that will feel like kurdi flavor up around the pitch muhayyer.

2. from there it feels like makam Acem, around the pitch acem, descends to the tonic dugah making a final cadence with flavor of kurdi.

So, it doesn't have much Huseyni inside, in my opinion.

Adam
PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-30-2020 at 03:10 AM

Thank you Adam. I wish I understood Turkish theory better! I found the following in something Eric Ederer once sent me:
(Ottoman fr. Arabic root hār/hūr “falling down” (though cf. khār/khūr “freely chosen,
having an option”); also refers to the note written “a.”) Muhayyer is essentially the descending version of Hüseyni. It is also found in compounds such as Muhayyer-Kürdi and Muhayyer-Buselik (which, ostensibly, are to begin in Muhayyer and end with the lower [“root”] cins of the second makam, which see below).
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 08:52 AM

PaulS,

Both makams Tahir and Muhayyer are worth looking at for similarities. I'm not terribly familiar with Tahir but if I had to take a stab at it, they are very similar in flavor but use different dominants. Muhayyer dominant is the pitch huseyni, Tahir dominant is neva (correct me if I'm wrong).

Sometimes I feel like makam Muhayyer is a combination of both Tahir and Muhayyer.

Am I crazy or is MuhayyerKurdi makam not to be found in Ismail Hakki Ozkan's book?? I wonder what's up with that or maybe I need reading glasses looking at the table of contents.

So back to MuhayyerKurdi makam...if the 2nd half of it is kurdi, that would mean a dominant at the pivot point would be the pitch neva so, that's what I mean by I don't find much Huseyni flavor in the makam. Does that make sense? After the Muhayyer / Tahir parts in the beginning, you'll find flavors of Acem, tiny passing flavor of Ussak and finish off with big flavors of Kurdi.

Similarly, AcemKurdi makam wouldn't have much flavor of Huseyni.

alim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 10:32 AM

Btw, in Arabic, Muhayyer means "perplexing" :)

Ali-
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 03:56 PM

In addition to "perplexing" muhayyer can mean "astounding" or "amazing." It was perhaps that latter meaning that was intended for the maqam's name.

Go To Top