Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: MultiOud Arabic Tuning Strings
Daryush
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-17-2020 at 08:20 AM
MultiOud Arabic Tuning Strings

Hello,

Apologies if this question has been asked, but I have not been able to find a clear-cut answer. I am considering purchasing a MultiOud (Encore) by Godin, however I have noticed that the 'default' tuning is listed in Turkish tuning. I have seen some videos by Navid from OudforGuitarists who notes Arabic tuning (CFAgdc) can be used.

In this case, can the Multioud simply be re-strung with an Arabic set such as Pyramid or Aquila strings? Or does it require a special type of string?

Additionally, I am debating between a much cheaper 'silent oud' by Saz and the MultiOud. I doubt I would ever reach a very high level, and would be content to play some popular Arabic tunes and play around with taqāsīm.

I do play classical guitar, and have a hand-made Spanish guitar which sounds wonderful – so I am concerned that a cheaper 'silent' electric oud would sound horrible and completely put me off playing? I have not been able to find any examples of the Saz model being played, so any comments/advice would be very welcome regarding either that or the MultiOud.

Many thanks.

Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 7-17-2020 at 09:30 AM

The MultiOud scale length is 58.5cm which is the typical string length for Turkish ouds however you can use Arabic tuning as well with the appropriate strings. The pickup system is piezo based so regular strings used on acoustic ouds should work fine.

I'm personally not a fan of the "silent oud" type instruments. They have a pretty unique tone but it just isn't something I find inspiring. Most of those instruments tend to sound pretty similar so if you listen to electric oud videos on YouTube you'll get a good idea of what you're getting into. If you want an electric oud I think the encore is probably your best bet, particularly if you're in America.

Go To Top