Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Samai Ajam
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-23-2020 at 06:13 PM
Samai Ajam

Volume 2 of Ahmed and Souad Chawki's oud/qanun CD opens with Samai Ajam by Sami Bek. Does anyone know anything about this composition? Are there other recordings? Is there sheet music? It's easy enough to learn this one by ear but I am curious to see what, if anything, was notated and to hear other performances.

Thanks!
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 9-23-2020 at 08:34 PM

First, we need to figure out who "Sami Bek" is. I am assuming that is an Arabization of some sort of Ottoman name, like "Sami Bey." The only composer with a name anything like that this I could find was Arif Sami Toker (1926 - 1997), who did compose an "Acem Asiran Saz Samai" - https://www.neyzen.com/nota_arsivi/02_klasik_eserler/002_acemasiran/... Without hearing the recording (I couldn't find either piece on-line), it impossible to know if it's the same piece.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-23-2020 at 09:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  
First, we need to figure out who "Sami Bek" is. I am assuming that is an Arabization of some sort of Ottoman name, like "Sami Bey." The only composer with a name anything like that this I could find was Arif Sami Toker (1926 - 1997), who did compose an "Acem Asiran Saz Samai" - https://www.neyzen.com/nota_arsivi/02_klasik_eserler/002_acemasiran/... Without hearing the recording (I couldn't find either piece on-line), it impossible to know if it's the same piece.

Thanks, John. I couldn't find anything about "Sami Bek" either. This is a different samai from the one at neyzen.com. On the recording it is played in G starting on nawa/2nd string and descending. It's a fairly common CD, or once was, so I thought someone here might be familiar with it.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-24-2020 at 06:00 AM

I thought that Sami Bek could possibly be the violin virtuoso Sami al-Shawwa, who composed many pieces. I don't know if he composed a sama'i Ajam, although there is an old recording of him and an ensemble performing what is labeled as "sama'i Ajam of Sami Bek al-Shawwa." If that is the piece it should be possible to find the notation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lMlEdEM7vM
Sami is seated in the middle of the front row of musicians in the photo.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2020 at 07:03 AM

That's it! Sami al-Shawwa's phrasing and dynamics and "sonic atmosphere" are a bit different than the duet recording. Just what I was looking for. Thank you.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-24-2020 at 10:29 AM

"Bek" is, for whatever reason, a seemingly common pronunciation of "Bey" on old Arabic recordings. You'll hear "Jamil Bek" etc. (Cemil Bey).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-24-2020 at 12:52 PM

In Ottoman Turkish Bey was spelled بك, and Arabic-speakers pronounced it based on a literal reading of that spelling rather than the accepted Turkish pronunciation. The letter ك was pronounced as 'y' in a number of other Turkish words written in the Ottoman script (e.g., the word for 'mill,' دكرمن, was pronounced 'deyirmen').

Go To Top