Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Small cracks and bridge problem (Tharwat Saber, 2004)
Daryush
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-28-2020 at 07:06 AM
Small cracks and bridge problem (Tharwat Saber, 2004)

Hello,

I was recently able to purchase a cheap second-hand Tharwat Saber oud made in 2004, probably a very basic model. It doesn't look like it's been maintained particularly well, but there doesn't seem to be any warping of other "big" problems.

The oud itself sounds OK and seems to hold its tuning reasonably well but there are a few problems.

The first problem (pics attached) is there is a small crack on the neck, and another similar 'crack' along a rib join. I can't tell if these are mostly just cosmetic and I can more or less ignore it, or if this is likely to develop into a bigger problem which I should deal with?

The second, and the most annoying, is that the holes for G course on the bridge are not evenly aligned - one is slightly higher up than the other, and is very noticeable when playing.

Any advice on how I might fix this problem? Would the whole bridge need replacing?

Also, the action is somewhat higher than I'd like. I have not experimented with trying to change the action on an Oud, so I'm not sure if this would even be possible for this oud? Overall it is probably not worth expensive repairs, so I'd like to try and fix a few things by myself if they don't require extensive work...

Many thanks for any advice!

IMG_20200928_145236091~3_resize_73.jpg - 323kB IMG_20200928_154955765~2_resize_24.jpg - 452kB IMG_20200928_145312470~2_resize_64.jpg - 353kB
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 01:45 AM

Hello

good news..nothing really bad ;)

1/ the peghead joint has indeed broken, most probably with a crack going along the neck. May have happen during shipping, rather common under pressure of others parcel.
take off the string and check how much it has open, and glue it back in place.
The shape of the wood block should make it fit easily and perfectly. If a bit loose, find your way to hold it in place the time the glue to dry.

I had the problem, it is very stable crack once glue back, thank to the direction of string pressure, it will not move once glue again

2/ you can fill with glue to which you can ad some wood dust , from sanding a piece of wood of an approcahing color. To work clean you can put some tape along the crack..Which not really a crack, most probably the ribs which were not perfectly fitting when the oud was build.
Or you can also leave it as it is

3/ the bridge, i think to be neglected iof you are talking of stringlength.
If there is a noticeable difference of string height under the risha you can level string height at the bridge, using pressure of you fingers to lower or higher the node of the string at the bridge, from where the string get out of the bridge
If a matter of string length, try working on the node. But i think it is so small it should be unnoticeable

NB
n°1 may have an effect on string action, maybe unstable beacause the peghead has loosen

Use wood glue or titebond. Easy to work. Can be clean with water if needed

Good luck, not easy to explain by writting, but i think this will give you an idea at least

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 01:10 PM

Sorry point 2/ I missed you say it is noticeable while playing. In sound you mean or just the difference of height ? If the problem of height only you can work the node higher or lower at the neck. If only this and you don't find the way send me mp with whatsapp number I will make you a video explaining in how to make this
Best of luck

Daryush
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 06:25 AM

Thank you, suz_i_dil, that was very helpful! Good to know the problems aren't major.

Regarding the bridge problem: it is string height which is the problem, and it is making trilling very difficult and also very noticeable under the risha. The two holes for the string are at different heights (this is visible in the photo if you can see where the strings come out). I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the "node"? Are you referring to the "loop" which the string passes through at the bridge-hole, or the "notch" on the nut which the string sits in?

Many thanks!
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 01:06 PM

I think to understand the issue, the bridge picture was unclear for me
Yes I'm talking about the loop at the bridge.
It is very useful to know this tip. When you have an action which is too low, or unequal fingerboard making buzzing you can proceed on the loop at the bridge to give more height to the strings.
Taking the strings you pull on it at the bridge and get it higher. It will be easier to do loosening a little the strings. You can make it also full tuning . I think this way you can settle them at the same height.
I will try to make a video showing this, not sure though if it will be easy to show it clearly. I'll try

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 10:28 PM

This way
https://youtu.be/ttersa9DsGo

. If you don't make it the strings will go more or less from the level of the bridge hole it is coming out through. But you can pull this way to get it higher...or just push it back
Only one you cannot get is lower than the bridge hole of course :)

I make it extreme way. It dont think it is desirable to have the strings too high at the bridge because of the torsion it will give to the bridge

Can you solve the issue this way ?

Daryush
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 05:37 AM

Thanks suz_i_dil, that is a useful little trick to know! Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to reset the neck on this oud, as the action is far too high. There is no warping of the face, and the height of the strings leaving the bridge is normal compared to my other oud, also I can gently apply pressure to the neck and I can see the action improve when I do this, which makes me think it is a neck problem. Hopefully it will be successful...

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2020 at 02:44 AM

Welcome !
For the action, yes maybe the neck has work or the neck body joint is broken so you will have to think of a neck reset.
But first really check the joint of the peghead to the neck.
You can get very surprise, I mean under string tension it can hold perfectly in place. But when you will get off the string you will see it moves easily i...or even you might take the whole peghead off !
Obviously the peghead joint to the neck is broken and this might explain the high action

Go To Top