Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RIP Saadettin Sandi
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2020 at 12:32 PM
RIP Saadettin Sandi

According to a post on FB, Saadettin Sandi has died.

I don't have one of his instruments - tried one once and liked it a lot - but I'd guess a lot of people here do.

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-1-2020 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack_Campin  
According to a post on FB, Saadettin Sandi has died.

I don't have one of his instruments - tried one once and liked it a lot - but I'd guess a lot of people here do.

I just now got a phone call that one of my good friends died yesterday. And now this. I have one of S Sandi's ouds, one he made for himself in 1990. I asked him why he was selling it and he said "I have 9 ouds I made for myself and I live in a one room flat." That made me laugh. Sandi ouds are underrated in my opinion. They are factory products generally, that is true, but so are CF Martin guitars. There are any number of instances where someone has said to me that this or that Sandi oud responds and sounds much better than it "ought to".
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 06:17 AM

Saw that as well. Rest in peace

Sorry for the loss of your friend Jody.

F**k 2020

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 07:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
Saw that as well. Rest in peace

Sorry for the loss of your friend Jody.

F**k 2020

Thank you Samir. Losing Larry was a shock to everyone who knew him. His only apparent health problem was failing eyesight. All I know is that he abruptly stopped breathing. No Covid, no cancer, no heart condition. He was in the luthier supply business, manufacturing and then importing guitar fingerboards, violin chin rests and pegs, etc. One of my fondest memories is in 1980 discovering that Larry and I were in India at the same time and traveling with him to a sawmill in Kerala. There I saw 4 or 5 elephants walk down from a mountain, each carrying an enormous ebony log or rosewood log in its trunk. They'd walk down the road, enter the grounds of the sawmill and drop the log —branches, leaves, bark, and all — in the dust beside the giant blade. The cloud of dust was huge and to an untrained eye there was no hint of the beautiful wood grain waiting to be discovered beneath the bark and dust.
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 08:25 AM

I never met him. But my first oud was one of him. The famous VMIU50 I bought in Istanbul in 2005. I never knew what these letters and digit mean. But I keep an unique souvenir of my first emotions playing an oud.
Aldana02
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 06:51 PM

Sad to learn that. My current oud is a low/middle range "Arabic" oud from Sandi I received in May.
It sounds far better than I expected for the price. Didn't personnally knew the man but the communication with its son (I guess) was very pleasant.

May he rest in peace.
norumba
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 05:12 PM

my first decent oud was a Sandi, years ago. He actually made a childs size oud for my daughter later that year, and was wonderful to communicate and work with... ... i still have that child;s oud, and while she didnt stick with it, I now have a grandson who will inherit it.

RIP Mr. Sandi...

Go To Top