Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Don’t play those butter notes?
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 06:24 PM
Don’t play those butter notes?

I am hoping to get some music education from some of you expert musicians, Brian, Jody ect....:bowdown:

I recently learned from Herbie Han.... some advice from Miles Davis regarding getting out of a rut of playing the some basic instrumentals by not playing the 3rd and 7th notes of the scale. “Don’t play those butter notes” He said, or at least he thought that was what he said?

Would this technique also help with Oud taqsims?

I apologize for this maybe elementary question, I am new to learning music and had a late start. So much to learn! almost overwhelming. But just a hobby and a I love learning, love Ouds and there sound, to me is the most beautiful sounding instrument there is. I hope one day to be able to create that beautiful sound. 6 years on, getting closer, but definitely not there yet.

Thank you
Edward
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 07:36 PM

I have no idea what "butter notes" are but taqsim is jins-based, not scale- based, so in a solo oud context it may not matter what Miles Davis meant.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 07:42 PM

I did some research. There may be some application after all. What may have been meant was to avoid the obvious in a solo or perhaps in accompaniment. But in my opinion a student has to be able to render the obvious with competence and confidence before an attempt at the non-obvious is likely to be successful. Or at least the player should throughly know what is obvious or expected because without that there is nothing to deviate from. Of course one may be lucky. IGNORANCE WITH CONFIDENCE can sometimes produce lovely results.
elreyrico
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 09:38 PM

It just playing the pentatonic. That is to say the notes that do not move. butter notes is probably a word for segah/kurdi and evich/ajem
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-15-2020 at 03:51 AM

If the makam provides the seyir to follow, how do you leave bits of it out?

Pentatonicism + optional fill-ins is how Chinese music works (the filler notes are called "pien"). So, ok if that's what you're playing...

Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-15-2020 at 07:39 AM

I really appreciate all your help and education. I believe being a member of this forum has accelerated my learning of music and playing Oud. Thanks to all the members.

Jody,
Learning the obvious with confidence before being able to go to the non-obvious is great advice. You must learn how to ride the bike before you can do tricks:) thank you for taking the time to teach a new student of music a small amount of your wisdom.

Edward

Go To Top