Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tuning down a whole/half step?
kampanas
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 07:07 AM
Tuning down a whole/half step?

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about a practice of tuning Arabic ouds down a whole or half step. I've seen videos of Michael Ibrahim playing a Nahat oud tuned to what sounds like Bb-F-C-G-Eb-bb [ here ] and one of Farid Al Atrash [ here ] doing the same, but without the lowest drone string.

I've tried it on my oud and there seems to be a less sustained sound but more response from upper overtones. I'm curious if this is something practiced more widely but generally undocumented.

All the best,
Nick
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 09:17 AM

There was no "standard" pitch for Arabic music until fairly recently, people just tuned to the range of the singer they were accompanying and it varied regionally and over time. It's common to find old recordings where Farid or Abdel Wahab or others are tuned down a step, or up a step or more (using strings that more or less matched the tuning they were going for). It's pretty well documented at this point I think that tuning varies quite a bit. Some folks like Michael are possibly interested in a "historical" approach or he has simply found that that oud sounds better in the tuning it was likely intended for. Many old ouds were made for and sound better in lower tunings (regardless of the strings used).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Badra
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 09:46 PM

Farid tuned his ouds to all three variations. Standard, half-step down, and whole step down, always 5 strings with virtually always a plain, not wound middle string. I can give you a bunch of examples if you wanted.

Something else to consider. When listening to recordings before the digital age, you should be aware that the speed could be off. The most common place you'll see this problem is in the Egyptian films, where virtually all are sped up, for whatever reason, 3-6%, which is a quarter tone to a semi-tone too sharp. But it also happens in studio recordings. So if you are watching Farid playing the oud in a film, it is almost certain to be a minimum 1/4 tone too sharp, and often a semi-tone too sharp. It's also why his voice often sounds high in films, but then totally different in studio recordings. One of the big things I do on my channel is fix this issue when showing clips from Farid movies. So if you're watching a video on my channel, chances are the pitch and speed are correct.

Go To Top