Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Negar Bouban's new Stenzel oud
Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 11-13-2020 at 10:57 PM
Negar Bouban's new Stenzel oud

Recently I discovered this videoclip of Negar Bouban where you can see at 0:30 the special shape of the bowl of her new oud developed by reknowend German luthier Sebastian Stenzel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXby8sauR98&feature=emb_logo

Here on his website Sebastian describes his thoughts when developing this new shape of the bowl:
https://www.stenzel-guitars.de/resources/pdf/universal_oud_en.pdf
and here you can see photos of two of his new ouds, including the one Negar Bouban owns now:
https://www.stenzel-guitars.de/page-2/photos-3/
especially look at this photo:
https://www.stenzel-guitars.de/page-2/photos-3/files/page6-1006-full...
It's an amazing construction, isn't it?

I am wondering what you guys will say to this... Traditionalists will disagree for sure. Smaller players with short arms and many female players will probably love the much more comfortable way of holding and playing.

A friend of mine ordered one of these new models at Sebastians workshop, he will have to wait two years before getting it! I will write a review once he has got it.

Alexander
TaiwanTuna
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-3-2020 at 11:33 AM

I love the contours and projection from the sound of this oud.

One thing I've noticed about the oud in my first year of playing was how unergonomic the instrument can be.

On a traditional oud, armrest or not, your arm often feels pinched on something due to resting on a sharp incline between the soundboard and the bowl. In addition, it took me a long while to prevent the oud from feeling like it would slip and I've noticed that even many master oud players have to keep constantly adjusting their instrument as they play in live performances (or maybe it's pressure from the cameras, who knows?).

This Stenzel design seems to address both of the ergonomic issues I've mentioned by having a more forgiving angle for the arm to rest on while having a sloped angle to push against the thigh while playing.

While I understand that this design is more difficult to create in a way- I'm surprised that more oud makers aren't testing designs and shapes that address these ergonomic issues.

Thanks for sharing!

- Jordan
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 12-4-2020 at 02:33 AM

I like the shape and design. The concept makes sense.

I've heard her playing this Oud for a while now, but so far, I'm not a fan of the sound. I have only heard Negar's playing on it. So I would love to hear demonstration from at least a couple more people. I hear too much plectrum sounds, squeaks, and I feel like there is another element missing but I can't put my finger on it.

My favorite sound that I've heard from her playing is on her Arafati(?) Oud in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Zn3_mriXM
Perhaps it suits her style better, I'm not sure.

Hearing it live in person would be another matter completely. Sound preference is completely subjective of course.

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2020 at 05:43 AM

Here's another Stenzel Oud played by Mustafa Said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efBPme0IMIc

What do you all think?

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-19-2020 at 07:45 AM

I think this Oud sound is growing on me.

TaiwanTuna
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-21-2020 at 09:57 AM

Thanks for sharing! It definitely doesn't have a traditional sound, but the sound from both Stenzels remind me of some Iranian ouds out there (at least through my speakers).

I really hope that we can see more variations with this specific bowl shape to see what kind of different sounds can be made with the ergonomic advantages of this design.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-22-2020 at 02:19 AM

love it wonderful proposal
I think the ergonomic may be excellent which is an issue of the oud.
At same keeping a good bowl volume
I would be very interesed to try it live though i feel already very convinced by the proposal

Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 12-23-2020 at 09:21 AM

Hi suz_i_dil,
I am quite sure the volume of the bowl will not be a problem. Sebastian Stenzel learned from Albert Mansour (Beirut) who’s ouds also do have a very special form of bowl ( I own one). The volume of the bowl is big! And so bass and mids are very powerful and prominent.
Concerning the new Stenzel ouds and what can be heard in these two videos of Negar Bouban and Moustafa Said I am more doubting the trebles which seem to be a bit weak. (It’s the same with my Albert Mansour oud) But that‘s difficult to jugde without having it heard or even played live.
As I wrote, an oudist friend of mine ordered one, as soon as he will have got it ( in about two years time...) I will for sure have the posibility to play it... and report!

For sure the ergonomic will be great.

Alexander
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-24-2020 at 06:35 AM

Wow, two years wait time...

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-26-2020 at 10:14 AM

Not so surprising. He is renowed maker actually and as far as I know doesn't employ any assistant. Master building for all stage for sure has consequence on time

rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2021 at 04:14 PM

I have played the oud of Negar. It's tremendously ergonomic - for the first time I didn't have to figure out how to hold it so that I don't get shoulder pain or else some weird posture problem.

I have also played Negars Arafati oud, which is also a very nice instrument, I quite liked it, certainly it is much darker sounding oud (don't forget, this one has been played a lot, Stenzels oud is practicly new).

I talked to Sebastian about the recording - it's a bit too close miked in not such a big room .
The Oud is incredibly responsive and rich sounding, but because of that one has to readjust the technique a bit... but when that happens, it is a great, great instrument - so great, that I placed an order although I already have (a more traditionally designed 7 course) one made by Stenzel.
I will report about this new one soon here, stay tuned...

BTW it is true that he is working alone, no workshop hands employed... and being als a renowned guitar maker he has to serve the guitar orders as well. Still well worth the waiting time...

Quote: Originally posted by majnuunNavid  
I like the shape and design. The concept makes sense.

I've heard her playing this Oud for a while now, but so far, I'm not a fan of the sound. I have only heard Negar's playing on it. So I would love to hear demonstration from at least a couple more people. I hear too much plectrum sounds, squeaks, and I feel like there is another element missing but I can't put my finger on it.

My favorite sound that I've heard from her playing is on her Arafati(?) Oud in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Zn3_mriXM
Perhaps it suits her style better, I'm not sure.

Hearing it live in person would be another matter completely. Sound preference is completely subjective of course.

Go To Top