Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Singing and playing the oud
ArmoOudist
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 04:43 PM
Singing and playing the oud

As someone who sings and wants to learn how to sing while playing the oud, what are some helpful tips? All I really do is play the melody along with what I'm singing, with some ornamental stuff added in (Like maybe I'll play up fourths in the spaces). My playing just feels really sparse and plain. I'm still somewhat of a beginner, so I guess I can't expect too much of myself, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips. Singer/Oud players I tend to look at for example are John Bilezikjian and Richard Hagopian, but they are obviously way above my level. Bilezikjian in particular likes to use a lot of chords that are difficult to pull off for a novice player.
Any advice?
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 05:01 PM

You can start by adding a syllable with your voice to the notes you're playing on Oud. Start with something like my ear training videos on YouTube. Play and sing a syllable like "la". Eventually your voice and Oud will get in sync more, and you can change those syllables to real words. Start an easy tune that you know the lyrics and melody really well. Singing and playing Oud is easier when you're not working on basic pronunciation.

https://youtu.be/MNVqjK8rd2M - Maqam Lami
https://youtu.be/XtaOx1DM74o - Maqam Hijaz Kar

ArmoOudist
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 05:08 PM

Okay sounds good, thanks! I speak Armenian, so learning words won't be that hard.

Go To Top