Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bassam Saba
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-4-2020 at 09:22 AM
Bassam Saba

I'm sorry to report that the great Lebanese master of the oud and nay, Bassam Saba has passed away due to COVID-19.

I was very fortunate to have studied with Bassam, as well as performed with him in Simon Shaheen's ensemble and under his direction in the NY Arabic Orchestra. He was a profound guide in the world of oud and Arabic music and I will always be grateful for his advice and encouragement.
For those unfamiliar, he was a virtuoso of the highest order and performed on nay, oud, flute, buzuq, saz and violin. He was also a gifted composer. He played extensively with Marcel Khalife, Fairuz, Simon Shaheen and many others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXgrnMoOtTk

He had recently returned home to Lebanon after many years in the US to take up a position as director of the Lebanese National Conservatory. Their statement:

With a heavy heart, we are sorry to inform you all that our beloved Conservatory’s President Bassam Saba passed away at 11:40am Beirut time due to COVID complications.
His talent, music educational skills, sensitivity, competence, humbleness and integrity will live forever through his music and pleasant personality.
The whole world has just lost with the Lebanese National Conservatory an amazing humane musician.
We lost a real MAESTRO, in every sense of the world, who will be missed immensely.
May you Rest In Peace Mr. Bassam Saba

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-4-2020 at 04:03 PM

What sad news. What awful news.
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 12-4-2020 at 05:05 PM

This is a real tragedy. He was very approachable and easy to talk to. A great loss...

aminateur
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 04:54 AM

There will be an online event today celebrating the lives of Bassam Saba and Michel Merhej

http://arabicmusicretreat.org/2021/01/18/celebration-of-life-honori...

Go To Top