Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: collection of phrases ("licks")?
volaya
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 02:40 AM
collection of phrases ("licks")?

Hi all.

My first message here, so first I would like to thank everyone for all the info that is on this site.

My question: Is there any place (book, website, whatever), where one can find a collection of those idiomatic phrases and melodic cliches that are part of the usual vocabulary for a given maqam? I have my collection of them, infered from listening to taqsims, which is the way one is supposed to acquire this kind of knowledge, but I was wondering if someone had done the work of compiling that somehow (maybe just for a couple of maqams at least)

I know this is something that is not transmited this way, but I do not see much difference between this and blues turnarounds (which are 100% idiomatic) or the "remates" that we use in flamenco guitar (same thing...), However, for those there is plenty of literature, even if you need actual exposure to the music itself to integrate that in your playing.

Assuming that there will not be such a thing, I would like to know what are some of the phrases that you consider more typical. Like, for instance, you could post here the link to an audio or video and say " the 'lick' at 3:40 is stereotypical of Rast". We could use this thread to have such a collection of musical snippets.

Many thanks in advance to all of you!
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 12-6-2020 at 05:06 PM

Hmm if you're talking about styles outside of Turkish I've never seen anything like that online. Many of the Turkish method books and etudes have that sort of thing though. That said, what you're talking about almost certainly exists since the oud is studied at universities in the middle east.
volaya
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 03:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. Good to know. I play mostly Arabic syle, but I will look on the Turkish side of things, even if it's a different style, to get an idea.

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 12-16-2020 at 11:01 PM

I am also a primarily Arabic-style oud player. I looked over some of the Arabic oud PDF books in my collection. The exercises seem more geared toward building risha/picking skill, as opposed to teaching typical or common melodic patterns in Arabic music. I would suggest learning a bunch of relatively simple Arabic songs. Do you read music? If so, I have some collections I could send you. (Of course, it's always a good idea to listen to lot of music, and learn some songs or parts of songs by ear!) How do you want to make contact? Are you on Facebook?
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 06:46 AM

A good example of this is the Persian Radif which is a collection of essential melodies, licks and riffs, themes and sub-modes that are elaborated upon through improvisation. Every Persian musician studies it.

The essential techniques, ornaments and embellishments, and "seyir", if you will, is gained through learning the essential movements in the radif.

You can hear many recordings and performances of the Radif. For example, I think Sahba Motalebi has recorded the whole Radif on Tar on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9shVvYLF8i1LAc3yPegyVg

Arman Sigarchi has recorded the radif on Oud and put it on soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/arman-sigarchi

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 11:45 AM

Hi Volaya! Welcome to the forums.

I've actually been working on something like this for some time (several years), but it is a huge project.
I came to the oud from a jazz background, where this sort of thing is common. Early on, I also wondered why something like this didn't exist (and wished it did!).
After transcribing several dozen taqasim (I've lost count :D ), and compiling my own personal collection of phrases, I've come to the conclusion that it's not as straightforward a task as it is in many other kinds of music, because of how important the total context is in taqsim. But it is possible to do to some extent, and I'm working on finding the best ways to collect and present the material for students. One thing I will say is that, like in all music, beginnings and endings are the most important. So listen to the way each jins is introduced, and listen to the ways phrases end. These are the most codified parts of the vocabulary.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
volaya
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-21-2020 at 08:35 AM

Thanks all for your replies!

Looks like I am going in the right direction, then :-) I am mostly listening to taqasim and trying to play phrase endings and beginnings by ear. I might end up writing them down. In that case, I will make sure I share them here.

Brian, if you ever releasing that collection of patterns and melodic vocabulary somehow (book, videos, whatever...), I would be happy to buy it.

John, thanks for your reply. I have quite a large collection of sheet music for popular tunes already compiled (I was new to arabic music when I started with the oud, so I wanted to get into context and not just learn oud compositions) , although I try to play mostly by ear. No need to send anything. Many thanks for your kind help, though.

Cheers

Go To Top