Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Short taqsim
wally1212
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-18-2020 at 07:50 PM
Short taqsim

Working on my bayati taqsim. Been trying to work on phrases in the higher register of the maqam. I'm trying to hear a lot and imitate and learn that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN2sHEQCWoY&ab_channel=WalidSabe...
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-19-2020 at 09:05 AM

I like the sound so much. May I ask what strings you are using? And what is the oud? I noted the single 5th course. I'm wondering about the reason for that. Also a quick glimpse of the bowl suggests that it is flat rather than round. Is this so or an optical illusion? As for the music itself, it sounds lovely to me. A few things puzzled me. This seems to be Bayati from A but so many phrases resolve on D. Anyway, thanks for posting this.
wally1212
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-20-2020 at 10:28 AM

Thanks a lot Jody! That's high praise coming from you :)

So I'm using D'Addario strings, the arabic oud set. This is an old Oud of mine, actually my first, I bought this from a Khan-el Khalili store in Egypt. It's a typical tourist Oud you buy for like 30 bucks ,but with a good set of strings it sounds really nice. No it's a regular round shaped bowl. I wish there was a cool reason for why I only have a single course there but the honest answer is it just broke and I didn't have a replacement ha! It is bayati on A and yeah a lot of the phrases were resolving on D, but since it's the dominant (right?) I'm guessing the ear doesn't mind it too much.

Go To Top