Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buzzing on fourth and third courses?
Almaafin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 03:31 AM
Buzzing on fourth and third courses?

Hi, new to oud and coming from a Flamenco guitar background. Recently got a new Syrian oud that looks lovely. Tried tuning the bad boy up (CFAgdc) then noticed the fourth and third courses were buzzing on the open strings. But the farther I played away from the nut the less noticeable the buzzing was. There's some light buzzing coming from the clear nylon courses 1st and 2nd as well. I tried reading some relevant threads on here about it but didn't really find what could have matched my issue. Again, if I play notes farther away from the nut then the buzzing gets weaker and weaker. I was inclined to think that perhaps the action is too low but then again what do I know? ;) This oud stuff is a whole new world to me.

I emailed the maker (ethnic musical) and they told me:
"The strings are new, and so it the Oud. Keep tuning it and the Oud will slowly mature 'open up'."

Could it be that the oud and strings need to wait a while before it sounds more like an oud and not a sitar? No offence to those who like sitars :P

Thanks in advance for your insights guys.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 07:20 PM

Often an oud will change a bit in the first year or so and the action will get higher. Some makers anticipate this by making the action very low to begin with, so after a while it is more "normal."

You can try pulling the loops up at the bridge to raise the action, this may help some (depends on the oud).

Also be aware that strings that are not perfectly in tune will buzz more, strings that are not fingered cleanly as a pair will buzz more, and poor risha technique will cause the pair to vibrate out of sync (and buzz more). So, make sure that those aren't the culprit as well.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top