Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud/Guitar Sound boards
Jalalelddin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 03:31 AM
Oud/Guitar Sound boards

Hello Everyone
Does anybody know where to buy Guitar/Oud Soundboards ??
I live in Ottawa, Canada
I use to shop at KJP Select Hardwood, but unfortunately, they stopped selling them.
I prefer a local store so I can pick and choose the grade and grain patterns. But I am open to any recommendation.

Thank you
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 07:10 AM

Hi I know we talked before, there is no source that I know in Ottawa. It's too small a market.

I ordered many sets from Larry many years ago to last me for a while. The grade was much better than what you could find at KJP. he can sometimes give a better price on master grade because the oud is narrower than guitar.
https://www.larrystamm.com/

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
ARAKEL1
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 08:23 AM

Jalaleddin, I have been using Swiss Sound Boards from Florintina here is a link to their site http://www.tonewood.ch/en
I am very happy with their Sound Boards and their service, I usually go with the Large Lute size, But I have used their Round Top Acoustical sound boards that have a slightly wider Grain, similar to Nahat Sound Boards of the past. They also offer pre seasond sound boards that are slightly darker in color because of the process in aging the Boards. I have not tried these Sound Boards but they are said to enhance the sound, lessening the aging time on the Instrument. The only drawback is the shipping costs, so I usually order 2 or 3 Boards with the Base wood for bracing.

Hope this helps,
Al
ARAKEL1
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 09:08 AM

Jalaleddin, I have been using Swiss Sound Boards from Florintina here is a link to their site http://www.tonewood.ch/en
I am very happy with their Sound Boards and their service, I usually go with the Large Lute size, But I have used their Round Top Acoustical sound boards that have a slightly wider Grain, similar to Nahat Sound Boards of the past. They also offer pre seasond sound boards that are slightly darker in color because of the process in aging the Boards. I have not tried these Sound Boards but they are said to enhance the sound, lessening the aging time on the Instrument. The only drawback is the shipping costs, so I usually order 2 or 3 Boards with the Base wood for bracing.

Hope this helps,
Al
Ziggy Dustbunny
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-11-2021 at 10:32 PM

A while back I got some soundboards from Alaska Specialty Woods. I couldn't find oud-specific wood in the western US, so I ordered dreadnought guitar tops. Got two spruce and two cedar tops, and they appear to be of reasonably good quality and tone (as far as I can tell--am total amateur at this stuff!). The problem is that guitar tops in the raw tend to be too thick for ouds. This may well have been discussed elsewhere, haven't perused the site well enough to know. But I had one planed down to an appropriate thinness and it cost me as much as the soundboard did! Buyer beware if you get guitar tops.
Jalalelddin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-26-2022 at 02:41 AM

Thank you guys for the useful information, and sorry for my late respond, for some reason i didn't receive any notification for your reply.
I'm new on this site, I don't know my way around :)
By the way Samir, I end up getting some from ( Bow River - wood to works ). Thank you again

Go To Top