Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Folded paper under nut?
Almaafin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 08:08 AM
Folded paper under nut?

Hi guys, I'm a new oudist from a Flamenco guitar background and I wanted to try to understand the process of folding paper or placing thin pieces of paper under the nut to slightly 'fix the action'. After some email exchanges with the manufacturer or maker of my oud he suspects that it could be short by "0.5mm or so". He suggested: "What I suggest is, to a tiny piece of paper folded, under it, to bring up the nut. There's no need for a new nut." - does anyone know how the process of this goes or could easily elaborate it perhaps with images or videos? :P

Thanks.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 07:16 PM

Yes, it's simple, if the nut is too low you just add a little height by putting a folded piece of paper or a small piece of index card under it.
Loosen the strings, lift the nut and put the paper under it. Then bring the strings back up to pitch.
Be careful with the treble strings and the wound d, sometimes the nut is a bit sharp and can cut the strings.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Almaafin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 09:42 AM

Oh yeah, I figured it out and it solved my buzzing issue. However, I think I may rose the action a bit higher than anticipated (I used an index card folded. Perhaps I should do an index card unfolded). I'll try that out, I am getting new strings soon so guess we'll try without index card first then if I'm still unhappy I'll use an unfolded index card.

Go To Top