Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Types of wood for the Oud
ArmoOudist
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2021 at 09:25 AM
Types of wood for the Oud

Hello guys,
I just have some basic questions about how the type of wood used in an oud affects the sound. I believe the face is usually spruce, but if not, what other types of wood are used? How does this affect the sound? How do the various types of wood that can be used for the bowl affect the sound?
Thanks
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Member Is Online

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-30-2021 at 11:52 AM

There are a number of threads discussing this, people have different opinions.

Face: Spruce of various kinds are typical, cedar is used sometimes as well. Occasionally other pine family types are
used, but spruce and cedar are standard. Spruce is widely considered to be less warm when new but ages to have a complex character. Cedar is widely considered to have a "warm" character but doesn't develop as much character as it ages. It can also sound a bit "dull."

Bowl: Many consider the wood of the bowl irrelevant or nearly so. The classic ouds almost all had walnut bowls. Maple and Rosewood have become relatively common, and people have differing opinions about the qualities imparted. Those that think that it makes a difference often describe them as "bright" sounding. I've also seen Mahogany.

The tastes, skill and experience of the maker impact the sound more than anything else, so wood comparisons really only make sense if you are comparing two ouds by the same maker. A cedar oud by one maker may age better, be more lively and have more character than a spruce oud by another maker.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top