Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best affordable oud for beginner
wordsfail
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-8-2021 at 12:27 PM
Best affordable oud for beginner

Hello,
I've been wanting to learn the oud for many years and am finally ready to get one. I'm a true beginner, with very minimal musical training. Can you all recommend a good beginner oud for around $500? I am thinking the Zeryab from Maurice Oud Shop. http://www.mauriceoudshop.com/syrian-oud-037/ Is this a good one? I am more partial to the sound of a Turkish oud, but have not found one in my price range.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2021 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wordsfail  
Hello,
I've been wanting to learn the oud for many years and am finally ready to get one. I'm a true beginner, with very minimal musical training. Can you all recommend a good beginner oud for around $500? I am thinking the Zeryab from Maurice Oud Shop. http://www.mauriceoudshop.com/syrian-oud-037/ Is this a good one? I am more partial to the sound of a Turkish oud, but have not found one in my price range.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi there,

I was in your shoes last spring and ordered a Zeryab from mike @ Maurice Oud Shop. He provided great support and I have been very happy with the oud I got from him. Zeryabs are the most consistent instruments in this price range one can buy. Before buying the Zeryab, I ordered a beginner oud from Turkey which was not playable and it's eating dust.

Hope this helps.
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 2-9-2021 at 07:32 PM

Hi Wordsfail,

It might be better if you could try before you buy. The oud needs to 'fit' you.
If it's a struggle to hold, it can take a toll on your picking arm's shoulder.
Just a thought. Good luck.

Regards - PaulO

Go To Top