Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Identify this oud (Islam AlQasabgy)
roddie
Oud Addict

Mood: In the mood for oud.

[*] posted on 2-14-2021 at 03:59 PM
Identify this oud (Islam AlQasabgy)

Aside from being one of my favorite songs of all time, and also a favorite to play along (learn to), this is such a great performance.

Baeed Anak - Islam AlQasabgy

But mostly, I'm absolutely in love with this oud. Has anyone seen something similar out in the wild? If I didn't just buy a second one a few months ago, I'd be out there trying to find this one.
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 02:01 AM

Maybe it's one of those 1 million dollar luxury Ouds Ramy Adly is selling...? :shrug:

http://webertrivia.com/oud/shop/luxury-oud-instrument/

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 04:22 AM

Hahaha Navid.

Its based on the model of Gameel Georges. It could be an original vintage oud but I dont think so. There are a number makers in Egypt who could have made that oud.

Could be Mahmood Dagher or Mahmood Mustafa, tharwat saber or even Maurice shehata. Hard to know for sure

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
dusepo
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dastgah-e Chahargah ?????? ???????

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 11:26 AM

Reminds me of the oud which Farid al-Atrash played, though I suspect it's a modern one made to that style since it doesn't look that old.

MoH
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 06:15 PM

I also happened to be watching a bunch of Islam al Qasabjy videos this week, and I'm not sure how much this will help, but according to the description of this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5t-q0t4cA), this oud was originally owned by Talal Maddah. Someone in the comments also asked why the uploader knew it belonged to him, and he basically just said he heard Islam say so, if I am understanding correctly. I agree it looks like a Gamil Georges copy, but if what was said is actually true, then it might not have been built that recently.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 08:12 PM

Talal was known to play farouq shehata ouds perhaps it was built by him. It certainly has the right sound to be a farouq shehata.

However people in the comments are saying its not Talal madah's oud.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
MoH
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 09:42 PM

True there is some disagreement and I couldn't find any pictures of that oud with Talal. I'm not sure if the youtube channel from the original video is actually his, but if so, maybe asking him directly might work.
roddie
Oud Addict

Mood: In the mood for oud.

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 12:52 PM

Thank you everyone for the reply! Rough few days in TX, so I'm just now catching up.

Quote: Originally posted by MoH  
I also happened to be watching a bunch of Islam al Qasabjy videos this week, and I'm not sure how much this will help, but according to the description of this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5t-q0t4cA), this oud was originally owned by Talal Maddah. Someone in the comments also asked why the uploader knew it belonged to him, and he basically just said he heard Islam say so, if I am understanding correctly. I agree it looks like a Gamil Georges copy, but if what was said is actually true, then it might not have been built that recently.

I just discovered Al-Qasabji a week and a half ago with that first video, and now I'm obsessed with the video and the oud. I just took a shot and tweeted at him asking about this video on the off-chance that he'll notice. I'll let y'all know what I hear back.

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 06:27 AM

I keep seeing this video suggested on YouTube so I keep watching it, I've noticed one thing: my guess is that it's an older Oud, and the reason for that is nobody is making Ouds with such a narrow neck anymore. I miss the narrow the neck design. My first Oud was like that. But it could be an optical illusion thing caused by the way it's decorated.

Anyone else notice that nobody is making narrow necks anymore?

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 12:24 PM

John Vergara is making narrow necks! I know because I complained about it on his last oud I played :)

Turkish makers definitely seem to make pretty wide necks, and many of the Bashir-style ouds also seem to have pretty wide necks. I like something in the middle, I always assumed that many of the old ouds with narrow necks were originally intended just for 5 courses and adapted later, but I'm not sure how true that is.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top