Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Peg slipping
ArmoOudist
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 05:25 PM
Peg slipping

So last friday, I restrung my oud. I understand that slipping pegs are normal for new strings, but earlier today, I was trying to play and the bass string was just not staying in place. it was ridiculous. It hadn't been giving me that much trouble this past week, and the other strings were pretty good today, so I'm assuming it's just a matter of time before this string settled (I've had this problem with new strings before). In the meantime, I'm wondering if the bass string has just too much string on the peg and this is what's causing the slipping.
I'm attaching a picture below with my finger pointing towards the peg in question. What do you think? Should I cut off some more string?

WIN_20210317_21_14_51_Pro.jpg - 150kB
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 05:38 PM

All normal. Changing strings, changing humidity, changing conditions of all sorts, all have an affect. I changed strings on an oud 4 days ago. Three of the pegs kept slipping not a little but all the way. Meanwhile another peg would not turn at all. The next day it would tune in the sharp direction but was stuck for going flat. The next day it was the opposite. When this happens I just wait a few more days.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 06:11 PM

Yes, you have too much string wrapped around the peg, which is pushing it out of the hole and making it not get get a good grip. You should only have at most about 4 inches of string wrapped around the peg for most strings. For the thickest strings probably a bit less, just enough for a few turns.

You should also wind toward the knob, not away from it. This will make it less likely the the string pressure pushes the peg out of the hole.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
ArmoOudist
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-18-2021 at 01:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
Yes, you have too much string wrapped around the peg, which is pushing it out of the hole and making it not get get a good grip. You should only have at most about 4 inches of string wrapped around the peg for most strings. For the thickest strings probably a bit less, just enough for a few turns.

You should also wind toward the knob, not away from it. This will make it less likely the the string pressure pushes the peg out of the hole.

Thanks guys, I figured that was the problem. I'll cut the string later tonight.

Go To Top