Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Clip on Tuner for Oud
Vaggelis_Oud
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-25-2021 at 12:30 PM
Clip on Tuner for Oud

Hey guys,

I have been trying for a while to find a suitable clip on tuner for my turkish oud. The instrument has the typical scroll after the pegs, and every clip on tuner I have used does not fit.
Even the planet waves universal tuner does not fit (had read before that is suitable).
Any clip on tuner that comes to mind?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-25-2021 at 02:41 PM

This one doesn't fit? https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-NS-Micro-Universal-Tuner/dp/B00L1LLJ...

Can you show how you're trying to attach it? Or at least show a picture of your oud?
I have never found an oud that this tuner won't fit, Turkish or Arabic.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
ARAKEL1
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-26-2021 at 06:13 PM

Vaggelis

I had the same problem. I now use Pro Tuner on my I Phone. It is really great you can dial your tune in and it lets you kow when you have it. Just search OUD TUNER in the app store. Pick the one that says Oud, Cumbus & Tanbur. You get some free but but of 99cents. You Get 7 Turkish, 3 Syrian, Iraqi, High Arab, and Lebanese Tunning. Hope you like it , it sure beats fighting the clip on Tunner.

Good luck
Al
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-28-2021 at 02:29 PM

Phone tuners work okay at home when there's no back round noise, but I found, to my discouragement, the first time I tried to use one at a gig, the phone mic does not distinguish between all the back round noise and your oud very well. The app was basically trying to tune the whole sonic landscape of the restaurant I was in. I believe this is different with clip-ons where the tuner "feels" the vibrations. I haven't found a clip-on that I like and still use my phone app, but before gigs (that is pre-pandemic) I'd tune before I left the house and just stick my ear up to the soundboard once my oud settled in at the restaurant (or wherever). Ultimately that was a better practice for my ear anyway.
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 3-29-2021 at 06:50 AM

I use a snark(red) tuner for starting to tune. The red one tunes by sound, but also by vibration(perfect for live gigs).
It clips to the very top most part of the oud. I normally tune one or 2 strings using it, and then the rest by ear.
I had to modify this tuner because the clip did not open enough without breaking so I took it apart and used elastics to hold it on. It is not pretty with the elastic but works great for tuning.
Cheers,
Matt

Go To Top